Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How battered will my rims get in the Sierra Nevada mountains?
  • cspeers
    Free Member

Hi guys. My girlfriend and I are heading out to Sierra Nevada this week with Ciclo and we can’t wait! I’ve just taken delivery of some new Crossmax Enduro WTS wheels but speaking to a mate he reckons to run my current Mavic Crossride wheelset out there due to the rocks etc, etc and potential damage. What do you think I’m I likely to end up wrestling with loads of rocks?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Did you buy the wheels to ride or sell on looking pretty?
    Just put your new ones on, they’re gonna have marks buy the end of the week, those marks will remind you of what an awesome week riding you will have had

d45yth
    Free Member

Seriously?!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Try using some tyres, it does help – no need to do a Gwinn out there for a week.
    Is it a gravity week? Some sturdier rubber may pay off too.

cspeers
    Free Member

Having not been out before I believe it will be more all mountain than DH. So ive got High roller EXO up front and Bonty XR4 on the rear. The Mrs has same on front but is running a std larsen out back. Think that should be ok.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Larsen DH is what Marco uses front and back, it’s damn rocky out there, sharp rocks too

cbike
    Free Member

Any rims will be fine. Avoid the elephant sized thorns tho. In ciclo language “Traverse” means mainly uphill.

Have fun.

alpin
    Free Member

face/palm interface

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Hard to imagine a rim that wouldn’t work as long as it is protected by some sort of flexible pneumatic cushion.

hot_fiat

a very worn out pair of Larsen DHs is what Marco uses

ftfy 😀

HR will be draggy as heck and make the next 6k climb feel like 8. Ignitors or the larsens are perfect. I’d take the new wheels ‘less they’re just for pootling to the shops with? 😉

Oh, and tubeless, that or stop every ten minutes to remove some more thorns.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My then new bike , well 3 weeks old, in Spain with Ciclo, now has many scars of a great time in May. Its a bike, just ride the thing.

scuttler

“Charley says…”

Cool. Nice to see you still posting in our humble little world of lawyers and IT fiddlers.

PS I think the OP is referencing the Spanish Sierra Nevadas but your comment stands.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I can’t think of a better way to christen a new wheelset than a week with Ciclo. You did get spare spokes with them didn’t you? 😉

Oh, and if you haven’t already seen it there’s a Ciclo thread here which includes photos of some of the trails you’ll be riding.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I took my brand new crossmax sx wheels and scratched the hell out of them and loved every second of it!!! But I also too out the mavic insurance so not too bothered if I smash them.

traildog
    Free Member

The terrain out there will be much more demanding on equipment, so you should take your strongest wheelset, otherwise what is the point in having them?
    In other words, yes you will be wrestling with loads of rocks so you should take the crossmax. Why would you want to take crossrides when you have something better? Do you have spares? You cannot easily get spares out there so that is the only factor I can think of.

egb81
    Free Member

I put a massive ding in my rear wheel puncturing on a rock then rolling it off the rim on the following corner 🙄 . My advice is run tubeless (almost a necessity unless you want to roll on 45psi) and go burly.

zebardy
    Free Member

My advice, definitely take spare spokes, especially with mavic wheels and their strange spokes and varying spoke sizes from year to year. Also take the correct spoke tightener for them! Sourcing spares while out there is tough Wheels can take a pounding while you are having fun down the trails out there (and boy will you have fun 🙂 ). Lost 6 spokes out of my rear wheel over a week out there, but damn was it fun on my hardtail chasing others on big bouncy bikes.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It’s just flowing rocky singletrack. What the wheels were designed for…..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How battered will my rims get in the Sierra Nevada mountains?’ is closed to new replies.