Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road wheel set around £300 – Anything better than Easton EA90?
  • nickdavies

As title, anything else I must look at?
    Not really got much in the way of technique or finesse and at a lumbering 90kg i’m not looking at anything 16/20 so that’s all Shimano out. I’d love a pair of wheel smith ones but at £450+ it’s way over what I can go to.

Needs to be easily serviceable so no funny spokes or exotic bearings ideally, 20/24h hubs and as light as possible but stiff as a priority. Far to much flex in the cheap wheels on there now.

Tubeless not a bother, i’m happy enough with GP4000s and tubes at the moment.

Anybody able to confirm if ultra 6700 cassette definitely works with the Dura Ace free hub?

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Have a look at these..

http://www.swissside.com/shop

A mate of mine found this company when they were just setting up a couple of years ago. He ended up with 2 sets (Franc’s and Heidi’s). They are both lovely sets of wheels and seem to be holding up well despite the fact that he is currently a fair way over the weight limit.!!!

As an alternative I’m using Fulcrum Racing 3’s which have been utterly faultless over the 4-5 years I’ve had them.. Just got a new freehub body so that I can move up to 11 speed at some point too..

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Wheelsmith do builds with Ambrosio rims that are around £300.

Why would a Shimano cassette not work on another Shimano freehub? You might need a spacer as 6700 is 10spd and Dura Ace 11 spd but apart from that…..

Rorschach
    Free Member

We’ve had nothing but problems with them snapping spokes over the last few years ( we are no longer a dealer because of this).

nickdavies

They look loverly…

We’ve had nothing but problems with them snapping spokes over the last few years ( we are no longer a dealer because of this).

Eastons?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yup 🙁

TheFlyingOx

OP – I’m hovering around the 90kg mark and I’ve had Reynolds Solitude wheels on my bike for 3 years. They not needed so much as a spoke tightened. Excellent wheels, and they’re now well within your budget.

neilm
    Free Member

Speak to Malcolm at The Cycle Clinic, he really knows his stuff and builds a mean wheel or two.

I had some Miche hubs (11 speed Shimano) built onto Kinlin XR200 rims which have come out just under 1500g and they cost £302 delivered.

The Cycle Clinic

rhbrhb
    Free Member

I got EA90 Aero in ’08, they’re great. The spokes ds rear snapping now due to fatigue (2 snap at cross point) so am in process of replacing all the ds rear spokes, £4 p/s not cheap but the only expense since new and the wheels owe me nowt.

Kuco

Those Swissside Gotthard wheelset looks nice.

TiRed

Any decent handbuilts on Ultegra hubs will come in on budget. Dura Ace will be over. Sapim spokes and Mavic CXP33 will build a strong wheel. 24/28 spokes F/R.

And yes, I’m running 6700 10 speed on Dura Ace 9000 hubs fine.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Novatec Jetfly.
    Lovely wheelset. Light and deeper section than normal.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road wheel set around £300 – Anything better than Easton EA90?’ is closed to new replies.