• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by oliwb.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • House Viewing – Solar Potential and Electric Heating
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Anyone got any thoughts – looking at a house with electric heating… it does however have a lot of roof pointing almost due south. Some overshadowing from the east, but not too bad, and a lower building directly to the south, but I think it is too low to be of any consequence. The thought I am having is a vast solar PV array to hugely offset the electric heating costs – and probably replace the heaters with more modern units (these look like 1980’s vintage).

I was also thinking of adding a couple of banks of evacuated tube solar hotwater heaters, linked into a HUGE hot water tank and eventually a secondary back up from a wood burner with back boiler.

This would be a long term house, so that should offset the costs… would it be better going this route than installing a central heating system (there is nothing there, so it strikes me as a very expensive install and it would almost certainly have to be an oil system which is getting horribly expensive to run anyway).

Any thoughts, things I should consider… it is a pretty large house so the electric bill would be terrifying leaving everything as is (but this lack of heating system is making it affordable(ish) given it’s South Lakes location.

kcal

I think Centre for Sustainable Energy (or some such) is Lakes based, they may be able to advise? However, tried to google for details and can’t find anything further. They used to do telephone, email and personal consultations.

geoffj

If it has mains gas then go with that, if it doesn’t then the options need careful consideration.

Edit – just read the no gas bit 😳

The thought I am having is a vast solar PV array to hugely offset the electric heating costs – and probably replace the heaters with more modern units (these look like 1980’s vintage).

You tend not to get the sun when you need the heating most.

I was also thinking of adding a couple of banks of evacuated tube solar hotwater heaters, linked into a HUGE hot water tank and eventually a secondary back up from a wood burner with back boiler.

Depends on requirements, but if you have the opportunity for underfloor heating, then this becomes more attractive. A wood burner as a form of heating is only really cost effective if you can get your wood at low cost and process yourself – then it’s a lifestyle choice (see McMoonter, Stoner etc)

Oil is expensive compared to mains gas, but not frighteningly so at the moment, and there is a lot to be said for its ease of use.

Biomass – pellets or some form of heat pump would attract RHI payments and may prove cost effective.

http://www.which.co.uk/energy/creating-an-energy-saving-home/guides/renewable-heat-incentive-rhi-explained/rhi-costs-and-earnings/

midlifecrashes

I think you’re starting at the wrong end. Instead of looking at how you’re going to put heat into the house, work out how to add so much insulation that it really won’t matter too much how you heat it.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It is an old building so adding insulation is tricky – not impossible, but it becomes increasingly disruptive. I have some ideas about how to do some of this though which may work – need to look at it more on the second viewing as to what would be realistic and achievable.

I was thinking about biomass as an option, the garage is large so a wood-pellet boiler could go in there with space for the fuel store too. Though that would detract from the really nice large storage and workspace it offers

The thought with solar was not so much to use the power generated directly for heating as such, but with a grid-connected system I could earn when the sun was shining, and offset the costs of heating when the sun was not shining as it were…. The grid becomes my battery for want of better terminology in that set up.

If the place had a convenient fast flowing stream running through I would be looking at throwing a micro-hydro set up into the mix 😉

I love the idea of underfloor heating, and some of the electric systems are relatively easy to retrofit if memory serves me right.

Just wondering if the farmer next door would be willing to let me buy some land for a heat pump… or put one under the lawn whilst sorting out the drainage… hmmm…. Normally I am not a fan, but I think this may be a case where it makes a lot of sense.

Bear
    Free Member

Unless you insulate and draught proof forget a heat pump.

As said above insulate first, can you insulate externally at all?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Not sure on external as yet, but that is my prefered option anyway. Going to try and get a second viewing and assess it. The windows looked pretty sound and draught free, leaving the fireplace to sort out with a woodburner.

Just looking at options just now so I have a good arguing point to drive the price down 😉 Been on the market for getting on towards 2 years, with some reduction but if I can get it for the right money then it is a real option (almost twice the size of the next best alternative – which has a standard gas heating system!)

Travis

as above.. retrofit, heat pump, then solar, bio, wind (the industry will back lash against Bio at one point)
    I know some good Heat pump people if you want a point. (I’m an MCS auditor, so know quite a few good uns’)

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Cheers – thinking solar first, then possibly heatpump/biomass a little further down the line as it would involve ripping up floors for pipe runs/underfloor heating. I may get back to you though, we are going to have a second look this coming weekend… then look at the financial side of it and put this place on the market (assured it will sell fast – very desirable area and we have the benefit of a garage and parking in an area where both are rarer than hens teeth!)

Kinda excited, and hoping we can pull it off! Be lovely for the wee uns as it is rural (woods behind the house with public access, stables across the drive), large garden to play in – and yet only a mile to both primary and secondary schools!

TooTall
    Free Member

Reduce consumption first, then go for an energy source that is the most reliant. There is no point in lashing loads of shiny things on the roof when any savings you might be making are just going out through the walls/roof/windows/cracks.
    Shading will nack solar generation if it is not properly accounted for and designed around, if it can be.
    As you said South Lakes, is it within the NP and subject to any restrictions?

sharkbait
    Free Member

The thought with solar was not so much to use the power generated directly for heating as such, but with a grid-connected system I could earn when the sun was shining

You actually earn very little from exported solar – you are far better off using all the power you can generate.
    We have a small house that’s all electric and it’s a shocker to heat (although the insulation is due an upgrade over the next 6 months). Solar thermal is OK but for the money you’re better of putting it into solar PV. We have a little magic box that sends all our spare production to the immersion circuit and when that’s hot it goes to an electric heater. It works really well – I just wish we had room for a bigger hot water tank.
    Heat pumps seem good as long as you’ve got the right target for the heat (i.e. under floor).
    Get over to the Navitron forum as there’s people on there who really are experts at this stuff and have already been there.
    Watch the solar shading – it can have a fairly big negative effect.

takisawa2

External solid wall insulation has made our drafty, shuttered concrete, 60’s council semi into a nice cosy home. Just saying. 😉

cvilla

CK as mentioned above ‘fabric first’ is the preferred way to go as it aims to save energy and add comfort, thus reducing load (£££), although not always the easiest. This is especially relevant in stone built properties such as in south lakes where I am based as well.
    So if there are any bridleways near you/this place email me if you fancy a ride out, any excuse:) C

igm

If your “vast solar array” is over 3.68kW, your local DNO might be looking for you to pay some reinforcement charges. Email me if you need to discuss.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Is there any potential for a Trombe Wall?

I helped make one in an eco-demonstrator house once, and they seemed like a pretty effective approach (with the added bonus of summer cooling), but a lot will depend on whether you can successfully incorporate it into the existing house.

oliwb
    Free Member

Of course you might find there are certain advantages to full electric….maintenance free / not as expensive as you may think. Our house is full electric and it costs us £110/month (large 90’s 2 bed semi in Aberdeenshire) in electricity. I have friend in gas CH flats in town that pay a lot more than that when looking at combined gas and electricity bills.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘House Viewing – Solar Potential and Electric Heating’ is closed to new replies.