Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Horned Baboon
  • roper
    Free Member

It’s a bit quiet on here at the moment so how about a few spider pics to cheer the mood 🙂

This is Marlona Bronson. She is a Ceratogyrus darlingi also known as a horned baboon tarantula. They are from South Africa and like hot and dry conditions.

The more observant of you may have noticed her horn. Most Ceratogyrus spp have the foveal horn, some pointing straight up but other like the darlingi pointing backwards.

It is not fully understood why (ahem) they have the horn. One theory is it aids the speed or strength the spider can eat. A spider’s stomach is located under the horn, in the spider’s carapace (sort of head area though spiders don’t really have a head). The muscles of the stomach are attached to the underside of the carapace and use its strength to draw food into it. The built up horn area may increase strength which could allow a quicker action.
    Why they may need to do this is unknown.

She is quite a defensive spider and can be unpredictable and fast, so not recommended to a novice.
    This is her in the threat pose

and retreating back to her tunnels, where she spends most of the time.

Jamie
    Free Member

F’ Yeah! Another Roper thread!

cheez0
    Free Member

damn you!
    i was hoping to see a picture of an excited monkey!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jamie +1

Cool.

druidh
    Free Member

* Houns to the forum, Houns to the forum *

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie +1

Cool.

Sometimes I think we should change STW to SpiderTracksWorld and be done with it 8)

mogrim

Roper, just the man!

I was thinking of getting a tarantula, but I’m a bit worried about the temperature range here in Madrid… My house gets down to 16C in winter, and up to 35-40 in summer… Can a spider handle that kind of range?

iDave
    Free Member

These things scare the shit out of me but I love the threads. Maybe some aversion therapy could be arranged at casa roper??

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That threat pose…oooer missus 😳

How fast is she roper? What kind of mistakes would a novice likely make that she would take advantage of?

What does she get up to in her tunnel? (steady at the back class!)

roper
    Free Member

mogrim
    You can heat the tanks with a heat mat stuck on the side over winter. In summer just take it off. Most species can take the heat but you would probably need to supply a small water dish (plastic bottle top) and spray a little water once a week.
    These like it very hot, dry and arid.

Feel free in emailing me and I can give you a run down of the pros and cons and a list of good “beginner” species. I can also put you in touch with a breeder in Spain who has a good selection of healthy, happy spiders.

¡Dave, there are quite a few people with tarantulas who started off with a phobia. I think the fascination out does the fear in the end, as some are great to watch, especially over seasons.

deadlydarcy
    There are two main types of tarantula, old world and new world. New world spids have urticating hairs (which aren’t actually hairs),which they can flick if cornered. The hairs tend to irritate a bit like fibreglass. If that fails they might bite.
    Old world tarantulas don’t have the hairs so will either run or bite. Africans are old world and have a stronger venom too so they are more likely to bite and with stronger symptons. Most African sp are also skittish and can sprint short distances.
    Marlona is fossorial so spends most of the time under ground. She will have a few tunnels, all silk lined and will probably have one or two emergency escape routes.

roper
    Free Member

oops, this is the other photo

cheez0
    Free Member

the abdomen on the fella in the last pic looks like a ginger testicle.

chris evans perhaps? 😀

Hadge
    Free Member

That’s ace Pete and I can see why you like the Baboon’s. My lad keeps on telling me get the big Baboons species all the bloody time lol. But if you want a real spider it has to be one of these –

Pete knows what it is as he very kindly got it for me and so it’s called “Pete” – my Heteroscodra maculata or Togo Starburst. How cute is that! :mrgreen:
    Hope you got my picture of the pokie too – I’m sure it’s a male as it’s legs are sooooooooooo long and by looking underneath but I’m no expert so I’ll hopefully tell more when it sheds next time.

iDave
    Free Member

roper, prove you’re a man, show us holding your Brazilian Wandering spider?

Jamie
    Free Member

*swoon*

That. Is. Awesome.

iDave
    Free Member

it seems to live on a bed of mini streaky bacon

roper
    Free Member

Got the photo Hadge and sent a reply.
    pete is a very nice slings, they can be quite deceptive to what they become 🙂

¡dave, no wandering spiders I’m afraid, though maybe one day 🙂
    I don’t like to handle any of them, really, especially the Africans, Marlona has the temperament of a twitchy drugged up cage fighter and am fairly sure she is planning my demise. No matter how long it takes 😯

Hadge
    Free Member

Yip – this is what that little spiderling grows into – a nice adult terror on eight legs 😈

duntmatter
    Free Member

What kind of mistakes would a novice likely make that she would take advantage of?

Trusting her with your credit card?

Kevevs
    Free Member

Good stuff Roper! Love your spider enthusiasm 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Spidergeeks 😀 as usual just brilliant, thanks for these and keep them coming.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Horned Baboon’ is closed to new replies.