Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hornby Train set
  • Tango-Man
    Free Member

I collected my old, not seen in 25 years train set from my Mum, thought it would be good for my little boy, so can someone tell me why I am looking for track layouts, expansion packs, I have already bought a Thomas set to add onto it, I am also scouring ebay for bits… am I doomed

Harry_the_Spider

1) You are doomed.

2) Can we all come round to play with it?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You lucky, lucky man.

My mum and dad gave our amazing track to our (very ungrateful) cousin years ago and we haven’t seen it since. I would love it back.

wwaswas

one of my sons cousins got a thomas set for Christmas some time ago.

My then 4 year old played with it for an hour, sat back contentedly and said “This is the life.”

as you say, it’s a slippery slope – you’ll be looking for extra shedage before you know it.

ourmaninthenorth

I rescued mine from my parents when they were moving a few years ago. Right now, it sits in its broken box in my cellar. Every six months or so I have the crazy idea of building a cool layout.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Wait until you decide to buy a new engine, you will not believe how much they cost these days.

I still have a Flying Scotsman, that cost £15 when I was 10. It’s now nearly 10 times that! My kids are still too young to play with it, as my experience with Scalextric last year has proved. I went from 10 cars to choose from to 1 left operational. At least Scalextric track is robust enough to walk on

xiphon
    Free Member

My Dad’s got his wind-up Hornby train set from when he was a young boy (1940s), all still in their original boxes, in a massive trunk in the attic. Got around 20 complete trains, 6 stations and 100s of track pieces/accessories.

Your post brings back memories of when I was a young boy playing with it – but only at Xmas time 🙂

Probably worth a stonking amount now!!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its the best thing about having kids (well, one of the best things).

Have a look at freetrackplans.com or something like that – loads of ideas on there. Building my little lad one off there at the moment.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

http://www.thesignalbox.co.uk/index_new.php

I kept my N guage railway which my parents got me as a kid. One day I’ll have it set up in the loft…..

iain1775
    Free Member

gggrrrr why did my first have to be a daughter 🙄

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve got a 30+ year old Hornby train set in the attic. Needs a new transformer and not sure where the track is but otherwise it’s mint, mainly thanks to my cousin breaking the transformer about 30 years ago. Will get it up and running soon but terrified it’ll get broken.

phiiiiil

Wait until you decide to buy a new engine, you will not believe how much they cost these days.

Hornby stuff is much more expensive than it used to be but then it’s of a much higher quality now – the £20 – £30 engines I used to buy as a nipper(one after every birthday…) are just toys compared to ones you buy now – they’re massively more detailed. They have a cheaper “Railroad” range that is of a similar level of detail to their older stuff.

My parents keep asking whether I want to sell all my old stuff in their loft – nooooo! I’m just working on the gf to let me run a railway round the back garden… 🙂

takisawa2

We had a contract drafter here who was big into his trains.
    As boring as he was his train layouts were simply amazing.

I upset him by asking if he ever made them crash… 😈 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Well… did he?

heihei

We’re house-viewing at the moment, and viewed a property last week where the last room in the house we saw was the attic. The agent opened the door to reveal a huge model railway, and my 4-year old’s eyes just lit up!!
    Am gutted I let my parents flog my old Hornby stuff a few years back. D’oh!

Harry_the_Spider

I flogged all mine when I was 14 and bought a bike.

6 locos, loads of rolling stock, 2 transformers, station buildings and enough track for two 6′ ovals with sidings.

I really regret it now.

The bike was a POS Peugeot that got replaced within a year.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hornby Train set’ is closed to new replies.