Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hope vision 4 – any good?
  • andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

What do folk using them reckon to them for riding offroad? At £225ish are they a good deal?

Ta

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Andy – you've mentioned lights and £225 so you're likely to get a load of people talking about DX and Magicshine (you can get 5 magicshines for that money etc) Ive got both but it you want to swap for a Hope 4 I'd be more than happy 🙂

I was going to sit this one out but I'm just back from a night ride and cant bloody sleep!

forge197
    Free Member

I've got Hope Vision 4 very pleased with it used them last night was able to see, run time is good the light excellent and consistent much better than Mrs Forge's Hope Hid.

I didn't have to wait for delivery, I got to look at them over a coffee.

Sure there is plenty of cheaper lights out there and they'll be folk along in a bit to tell us why the DX is better, but I wanted to support local folk and local manufacturers and that ain't going to happen with a DX.

I don't think you'd be disappointed by a Vision 4 it's very bright 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

but I wanted to support local folk and local manufacturers and that ain't going to happen with a DX.

I totally agree with you on that. Good post. I now actively try to buy more "Made in the UK" than ever before.
    😀

Solo.

P20

Had mine for a couple of winters now. Superb bit of kit. Don't need anything more powerful and runtimes are ideal for my use.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Mine's into it's 2nd or 3rd winter now which is a good sign – if I don't rate something, I tend to sell it on very quickly. It's bright, very user friendly and been 100% reliable. People will grumble about the way the battery mounts or the way the switch sequences or lack of "fuel guage", but they're really insignificant niggles.

ojom
    Free Member

One thing that concerns us (probably nothing to worry about though) is that Hope recently stopped supplying batteries for HID models only a few years old. We would want to know that there would be sufficient back up plans for Vision 2 an 4 users so this doesnt happen with the LED models.

I know we have one customer whos opinion of Hope changed a little when we broke the news to him…

DickBarton

Hi Andy,

I got to play with a Vision 4 for a couple of weeks a few months back, I thought it was very good but found the brightest beam and the second brightest beam had no real noticeable difference in light but had a serious impact on burn time, the upshot was I never used the birghtest setting.

They are very easy to work, they seem to be very well made and they don't seem to bother too much about being rough handled – very cold hands and putting on/removing did have them getting dropped – but they didn't seem too fussed.

Burn time is good and the light output throws the light across the trail but also lights right in front of the front wheel – a lot of lights throw the light away from the source (and leave a dark spot in front of the front wheel) – the Hope don't which I found quite useful for tighter corners and bumpier ground.

If I had the cash I'd own a set, but I don't but I do think they are worth the money. There are cheaper stuff out there – my own light mix up until a few weeks back was a DX torch on the bars (as I can't afford anything else) and that was perfectly usable…the Hope doesn't do anything better with the light i.e. both solutions produce plenty enough light to ride with, but the whole system feels very solid and dependable.

If I had the cash, I'd own a set…but I'm not authoritarian on the matter, just my own findings – I also think if you are looking for the mot flexible solution for lights then the Ay-Up Adventure V4 i the system to go for – helmet and/or bar system, battery life is incredible (almost 6 hours from the half epic which states only 3 hrs and over 10 hours from the epic which states 6 hours burn time) but the choice of options for mounting is very good. As individual light units they aren't the brightest, but combined with both they produce a very good spread of light – only real drawback just now is the exchange rate isn't as good as it was…think the system is about £320 but 3 months ago the same kit would have been £250.

lowey

For that money I cant think of one single reason why not to buy a Trout Special.

Yetiman
    Free Member

2 years in with mine and no complaints yet. DickBarton mentioned this already but the highest setting is almost pointless so mine is almost always on the 2nd highest with enough battery power for 2.5-3 hour rides. The beam pattern is nice and wide with a reasonable depth to it although I feel it could be a bit deeper. Light clarity is also pretty good with no dull spots and such like. Build quality is great and it's reliable plus if it does go wrong the support from Hope is fantastic.
    Hope lights are not the cheapest but I do consider them good value based on long term usage of Hope2 and 4 LED's.

flipiddy
    Free Member

As Dick Barton says, the beam pattern is very good and obviously they are pretty bright.

Something that often gets missed out in reviews is the light colour, which is slightly more yellow than a lot of LED lights. I much, much prefer this as it gives better depth perception than 'white' LEDs imho. Personal preference of course.

Trout's light looks good and I would like to test a Exposure light side by side, but would I buy a Vision 4 again? Definitely.

Magicshine/DX for night riding on the cheap with a few mates
    Hope/Exposure/Troutlight if you are serious about night riding and want an investment.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

For that money the Troute absolutely kicks its ass.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Andy

They are pretty good but not perfect.

Good points:

Nice light pattern. Setting 2 is ideal on the road and for most off road.
    Setting 3 is almost indistiguishable from max power so you may not use the latter very often.
    Solid mounting system for the light unit.

Bad point:
    It's heavy when used as a helmet mount and the long wire is a bit faffy. Mine keeps cutting out so looks like the extender cable needs replaced.
    The battery mounting sytem is piss poor and a major drawback in my opinion. They use a stretchy velcro strap which bumps about. It would be great if they copied the Lupine design.
    Weight – a lot lighter than what we used to use but not a match for Ay ups.

I like my light but have just ordered a set of Ay Ups. Their lack of weight and compact size means I can have them with me as a just in case light on big days out. Of the two, I'd probably go for the Ay ups instead.

How are things anyhoos with the new business? Going well I hope?

Cheers

Sanny

PS When you got your Litespeed back, did the shorten the top tube or change the angles on it when it was cut and shut?

Alex

Mine are into their third season. Agree with Sanny that the batt mount is a bit crude. I velcro it under the stem but use a second bit of old inner tube to make it secure.

Also been back to hope with the cutting out issue, but sorted for free in two days.

They've been out in all sorts of horrible weather and – aside from the battery lead cut out thing – have been brilliant. 4th setting is "shop only", use 2nd and 3rd for all night riding, good beam, on a par with my mate's lupine for spread/depth, bar mount works well, wouldn't consider them for my head tho!

Overall, I think I've had my money's worth out of them (Paid £220 I think) and wouldn't swap them for anything newer.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Got mine 2 weeks ago for Xmas but had to test it to see if it worked 😉 Very Pleased with it and I have my Ay-Up for my helmet as teh hope is prob a bit hreavy for a helmet light as its built like a brick privvy – which is def good for a bar mounted light and Me 😉 Very good throuw and good beam – widish but not wwasted – I do fee a helmet spot is needed however 🙂

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, that's given me plenty to chew over.

Hey Sanny, all good in the hood, things're shaping up for next year – how're you and the famileeee?

😀

Sanny
    Free Member

Hey Andy

All good ta. The wee one is 8 weeks old today and rocking. Still getting out on the bike. Did a corker of a cheeky trail in the Lakes last week that I'll mail you about off the forum…..proper smooth and narrow singletrack that goes on for several kilometres.

Cheers

Sanny

knott4me
    Free Member

cracking lights as with anything from hope its very functional if not expensive.

hope still carry parts for the antique hid lights & probably will for some years yet although hid was a little but blue ray mini disc-not very good !

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hope vision 4 – any good?’ is closed to new replies.