Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope tech X2: whih shifters do you use?
  • munkeymadness
    Free Member

I've been running a pair of Hope Tech X2 brakes on one of my bikes for past 6 months or so. Generally happy with the brakes, but I can't cope with the shifter interference any more (gear lever and brake lever currently gtting in way of each other). Have had same shifters and hope mini's on one of my other bikes for ages and these work perfectly together.

I have read the Hope site (as I did when i put the brakes on) and it suggests the brakes should be ok with XT (yes I have the brakes inboard of the brakes), but I suspcet I may be having problems as my XT shifters are pretty old now (probably about 5 years old).

So what do people run with their X2's? Any reccomendations? I'm thinking perhaps xtr as these look pretty adjustable. Rear mech is xt so would probably prefer to stay shimano, simply due to not needing to buy a new rear mech.

cheers

warton
    Free Member

can't you get the piggy back clamps for xt?

thefallguy
    Free Member

can't comment on shimano but would recommend whichever you go for get the hope matchmaker clamps too. i use hopes 'matchmaker' style bar clamps with my X0 shifters and the shifters seem to integrate better than they did running separate clamps.

munkeymadness
    Free Member

Clamps not compatible with my 'older' XT shifters.
    Now where to find cheap XTR shifters or Sram shifters and rear mech?

jim29
    Free Member

SLX with the indicators removed is pretty great for me

mickasaki
    Free Member

Abit obvious but cant you move the leavers and shifters in a bit? Its free! I got fed up with rubbing my thum on my XT770 shifters and it worked for me, the leavers on the Tech brakes seam quite long to me, so no probs provided your bars are long enough!

puddle-rider
    Free Member

SLX with indicators removed and inboard of brake levers works fine here.

munkeymadness
    Free Member

I can't get the shifters any closer, although I would like to, without rotating the gears leves even further around. This would mean that with the brake levels at the correct angle, the gear levers are in a pretty much unusable angle. Not sure if this makes sense.

Don't know what model my shifetrs are but I think it's pretty fair to say they're not compatible. I've tried everything the past 6 months with the current set-up.

mickasaki
    Free Member

No pobs with the later shimano ones with the removable gear windows taken off, maybe thats your trouble!

Slogo
    Free Member

i had this problem with my old shifters!

you need slx xt or xtr with the 3 ataching holes to mount hangers. i guess yours are older than this.

like these remove the windows and the hangers. buy the hope shimano matchmakers(from crc) sweet un-cluttered handle bars! FTW

i spent about £180 on top of the x2s to get the shifting right!

munkeymadness
    Free Member

Cheers all. Yes it seems my old XT shifters are the problem (or rather the brakes are). The shifter windows are removed, but I cannot remove the hanger as it's integral to the shifter.

I'll go for the hangers and new shifters. I should have investigated the shifter issues before I bought the brakes.

jordie
    Free Member

X-9 with match makers for me looks really tidy.

duir
    Free Member

Tech X2s with sram X9 and Tech V2s with sram XO seems fine to me. Ones on a hardtail and the other on a downhill bike.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope tech X2: whih shifters do you use?’ is closed to new replies.