Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope Tech brakes what wears out ??
  • whyterider19
    Free Member

Hello There

Hoping to draw on the experience of long term Hope Tech X2 and M4 brake users. Have taken the plunge and gotten a set each of these brakes for my wife’s bike (X2) and mine (M4) both with the non-evo tech levers. I like to have spares on hand to do repairs as needed and was wondering what ends up wearing out/failing on these brakes.

Obviously brake pads but what about things like seals, springs, etc?

Any insight on what the typical items are that need replacing on a rebuild would be greatly appreciated.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i just replace the pads thats it ! 😉 dont have any other problems :mrgreen:

druidh
    Free Member

Your patience – trying to get them to work properly.

chives
    Free Member

Only done 700 miles on my X2 EVO’s so not exactly a long-term comment – but haven’t replaced anything yet, pads or otherwise. Only had to shorten the hoses on initial fitting. Love the feel, and plenty powerful enough IMHO. 😀

theendisnigh
    Free Member

druidh

I’ve just ordered some M4s today. What kind of things help set up?

Radioman

Got 2 sets of m4s one set of v2s and have run Hopes since they started making disc brakes. Nothing has ever worn out bar the pads. Important thing is to set up properly in the beginning as per their instructions. Make sure the calipers are centred exactly on the discs. Doing this with bike upside down is best. Just bleed once a year. If ever the pistons get sticky…only happens with serious brake dust and no cleaning etc. Take pads out and clean round brake piston with paint brush dipped in brake fluid. This cleans and re lubes pistons. Always use the exact ( dot 7 i think )brake fluid hope specify or you will swell the seals (ruin them!)and have sticky brakes. I have had Hayes brakes too but find hope much better quality.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

pads in 8 years…

Line them up right
    Accept that ALL brakes squeel sometimes
    Ride

Onzadog
    Free Member

Long term the cam will wear but not to the point I’d keep spares in stock. If you’re the paranoid sort, keep a set of lever and caliper seals. Maybe a lever blade and hose connector for when you crash. Having them in stock is the best way to make sure they’re never needed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech brakes what wears out ??’ is closed to new replies.