Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hope Pro2 Evo or CK on bling wheel set
  • Chainline
    Free Member

What the title says, any good reason to go king over Hope other than 40g weight saving with King which ain’t a lot on a 29lb bike for an extra £350

Using with a Hammerschmidt so the engagement is negated by the HS freewheel…

Obviously the Hope fr and rear costs less than the CK front! I’ve used both, never broke either. Struggling for a reason other than bragging rights really…

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’d go with Hope, mainly because I’ve never owned anything CK and I know that you can always get Hope spares without any issue.

Would want a better reason to buy than £10 per gramme saved.

ash.addy
    Free Member

CK every time just love their stuff and the hubs are easy to strip and service

njee20
    Free Member

DT240. Lighter and more reliable than both, cheaper than King.

wwaswas

tbh, if you’re really looking for ‘bling’ then CK. Otherwise ‘just’ Hope.

honourablegeorge

Are you sure there’s a weight saving with King?

King:

Front Hub 166 (g)
    Rear Hub 336(g)

Hope

Weight: Front 185g (QR)
    Weight: Rear 310g

amplebrew

I’ve got Hope on my Kona singlespeed, but I’ve had 3 bikes with CK hubs and both makes have proven to be reliable and faff free.

I personally think that CK are slightly more blingy but Hope’s customer service is amazing.

Houns

CK

Hope really isn’t bling and I’ve seen too many cracked hubs on here

Chainline
    Free Member

CK rear is 306g in reality, at least my previous ones have been.

It’s a blingy wheel set but in the right places..at the rim.

Njee, I like the DT hubs but they are black and I need silver for this build.

I like both just struggling to justify the extra cash since the wheels are already eye-watering.

For some strange reason, even though I love Hope (All my bikes have Hope brakes) waswaswas is right, its almost as though it’s ‘just’ Hope. How have I got to this!

Actually Tune are cheaper than CK but iirc and very light. I think I’ll put Hope on, it’ll be a nice juxtaposition with the rims!

P20

I’ve been running Kings for over 10yrs on two bikes and a 3rd set for about 3yrs. I’ve snapped one rear axle in that time, but otherwise fine. Same bearings/driverings etc. Doddle to work on too. Hope seem fine, wor lass has a set of Pro2 evo’s which are fine

messiah
    Free Member

How much freewheel/back-pedal drag do you get with a king hub? I’ve tried a few but can’t remember how it compares with a Hope. I’ve found with the HammerSchmidt that you want a really free rear hub or the chain can have a tendency to go slack when freewheeling fast over very rough terrain and drop between tyre and chainstay (with the 22/24 ring it sits close)

I like Hope hubs as they are simple. To make them freewheel/back-pedal better scoop out the blue grease and replace with oil… double bonus is it makes them quieter :mrgreen:

Hadge
    Free Member

Hope aren’t bling and never will be. They’re decent hubs but there are better out there. CK’s are much better finished and are reliable too and cost keeps them “bling” Being honest there isn’t a great deal between any of them and each has it’s good and bad points or failures. I’ve ran DT 240’s and Tunes as well and if you define “bling” as being a bit more niche then go for the Tunes as they aren’t very common at all and are also nice and light to boot.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Hope all the way for me. I found CK to be an expensive draggy pain in the butt. On the other hand if you like buying expensive tools, stripping, cleaning and lubing it could be ideal. Also the only cracked hub I have ever had was a King, requiring a new shell. 4 bikes running Hope hubs at the mo

njee20
    Free Member

I found CK to be an expensive draggy pain in the butt.

+1

My Tunes were also more hassle than they were worth, but most of that was the non-serviceable Kong Superscharf rear, I imagine the standard Kong is far better.

metalheart
    Free Member

Jesus man, you’ve gone for a custom Nic frame, presumably them eye watering rims are enve’s (dipper was telling me the cost price… 😯 ) and your wondering about a *mere* additional £350?

Sell the other kidney as you’ll always feel you’ve undersold yourself with ‘just’ Hope… 😉

tomhoward

I’ve got both, the only reason I have Hopes on one bike is because I couldn’t afford Kings at the time. If money is no oject, King every time. That goes for headsets and BB’s too.

Northwind

So in conclusion then, DT Swiss 240s?

Superficial
    Free Member

There’s no way Kings are worth twice or three times a Pro II, there’s virtually zero performance gain and they’re not as easy to get parts for. Would I have them, given the choice? Hell yes.

the_lecht_rocks

I ran ck for years…now on my ti456..
    My new wheels run hope hubs…. Time will tell…….

bikeryder85
    Free Member

loving my hopes so far…can’t beat it for the price IMO

EDIT: mine are also silver…look at my past posts and you’ll see them if you want an idea…good luck!

cardiff
    Free Member

If you’re not bothered about colours these are in black and good value hope’s from what I can tell! £279,99

Linky

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro2 Evo or CK on bling wheel set’ is closed to new replies.