Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Hope Pro II freehub gone quiet
  • mr_mills
    Free Member

The nice clickety-whizz noise of my Hope Pro II freehub seemed to be conspicuous by its absence today. It still works perfectly but just sounds like a 'normal' hub now. Does it just need a clean?

It's about 6 months old and hasn't had any attention since new.

13thfloormonk

"I don't like it, its too damn quiet…" 😀

there is something a bit disconcerting about changes in freehub noise, can only think the grease might have somehow got stickier/thicker.

momo

They're normally quieter after being serviced! I know my freshly re-greased bulb is running very quietly at the moment and gets louder as the grease breaks down.

Philden
    Free Member

It probly needs new pawl springs when they wear they don't flick back the teeth to hub with such power.

Stiggy

Check all your leaf springs are in one piece (after a soggy winter they can disintegrate).

Stiggy

Philden beat me to it! 🙂

mr_mills
    Free Member

New pawl springs after only 6 months? It's probably only done a few hundred miles.

Philden
    Free Member

Just ordered some for myself

Philden
    Free Member

Mine have only lasted about six months they are very flimsey.

Stiggy

Mine were disintegrating a lot, then I stopped using Muc-off and they've stayed in one piece ever since.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Well I think I can manage £3 so I'll get some new ones. As it's only recently gone quiet can I assume I'm ok to ride for a while without it dying on me?

mr_mills
    Free Member

Ah – I do use Muc-off

Stiggy

🙂

Philden
    Free Member

Like you say its 3 quid why risk it?

mr_mills
    Free Member

I mean is it going to die on me at the top of Snowdon on Friday if I haven't sorted it by then??!!

Is there a vid on the Hope site which covers this job?

Philden
    Free Member

Yeah the Hope site will show you how to rebuild the whole rear hub should be ok i guess but that is a guess 😕

uplink
    Free Member

Just like a Doodlebug – no problem as long as they're making a noise 😀

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8co9nLAcxs

Northwind

I would kill for a silent hope hub. Actually, I'll have 2, one for me and one for ChrisL so that I don't spazz out completely every time he's riding behind me.

solar
    Free Member

I was actually disappointed with my pro2, thought it was going to be much louder!

Dancake
    Free Member

saw a pro 2 on ebay once.

Advert said "Awesome Clicky noise!"

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

my new silver set r quiet…but my old pro1 were loud as hell.

Amos
    Free Member

Remove cassette
    twist off free hub body,
    Clean ALL the grease out using tooth brush and brake cleaner or similar,
    Lubricate with wet chain lube,
    Rebuild
    hmmmmmmmmmm Noisy free wheel, no need for a bell either! 😆

kevin1911

Are the pawls and springs the same as in the old XC hubs? I remember almost launching my old hub XC hub through the window after 30 minutes of faffing trying to get them all to stay in place while I put the freehub back on. Not yet needed to service my Pro IIs but want to know what I'll be in for.

jimw
    Free Member

No, it is really very simple, the springs stay in place in the body and you just twist it back in. Video on Hope website- mostly about the bearings but shows how to put back together

Amos
    Free Member

Very easy to service, a seal holds the free hub body on and is really easy to take apart and rebuild with no specific tools required, you can get the seals back if you have strong fingers. Hope website has a tutorial and it's easier than they describe Honestly

Hope tutorial Linky

jordie
    Free Member

i would look inside and fast as my freewheel went quiet and it took a couple of rides before i had a look in there.One of the bearings had collapsed and the alloy body was cracked as the freehub was driving on the ring instead of the pawls.It was scrapped and i needed a complete new freehub.This was no fault other than myself not checking why it had went quiet

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

I hate to say this but my 6yo Hope XC rear hub slipped into stealth mode about 4 years ago. I has never worried me… until now……

fackit
    Free Member

Pro3s are even louder 😯

dale
    Free Member

have a look better 15 mins at home than a long walk home. if the grease is washed away or dry around the springs they wont last long

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Cut down mini zip ties are more durable than the metal pawl springs IME. After changing metal springs twice I swapped to zip ties and they've been fine ever since

mr_mills
    Free Member

All sorted. No broken springs just lots of muck in there. Cleaned and rebuilt with a new set of springs anyway 🙂

ChrisL

My Pro II went quiet because 3 of the 4 leaf springs had broken. The fourth one broke when I took the hub apart to service it. So while Northwind may not like the noise from my hub when I'm riding behind him, to me it's a good sign that the thing is not about to fail on me.

JImmAwelon, the springs in Hope XC freehubs are completely different to those in Pro IIs and I suspect they're much less likely to break. They are however far more likely to go everywhere when you disassemble the hub, so take care if you do!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro II freehub gone quiet’ is closed to new replies.