Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 rear hubs. A question? ( specific to trek ex frames)
  • MicArms

Noticed this last night after a major service to get rid of an annoying creak on the trel ex9.

Noticed when putting rear wheel into the dropouts, the knurled surface of the drive side/ non drive side spacers were not mating into the drop outs. This is due to the little stubby bit the axle goes through on the spacers being 5.6 mm long.
    The trek ex dropouts only being able to accomodate approx 4.5mm of depth as they are closed on one side.

Swapped wheels around and the creak goes when original wheel( bonty race , now on the inbred) put in, so the difference in ‘stubby bit’ of axle length is the issue. Bonty ‘stubby bits’ measure 4mm.

firstly, can anyone else please measure length of their pro2 stubby bits on the drive side/ non drive washers to conf if 5.6 mm is the common length?

2nd, stuck at work.. so can’t check , the stubby bits of the spacers, think they are ali, so should be able to turn down on a lathe???

Cheers..

ps. linky for exploded view, looking at items 1 and 16

orena45

I remember ages ago someone on here reported the same issue and that they had contacted Hope about it, but I never heard anything more about it.

Not much help really but just to confirm you’re not the only one who’s noticed it. Still have the original Bonty’s on mine but have always been ‘intending’ on putting some Hope hubs on at some point – this issue had always stuck in my mind though.

MicArms

Cheers Orena45, didn’t know about the existing thread. Will try and find it, have also emailed Hope directly.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just file the offending 1.6mm off?Its no biggy.

MicArms

As a last resort, but you ain’t seen my filing skills!!

coatesy
    Free Member

Spacers can easily be skimmed back. Not sure of your frame, but the latest ones come with a 12mm conversion too which may be worth considering as a stiffening measure while your hub’s apart.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Pics please? I’ll go check mine….

M6TTF
    Free Member

Just looked – see what you mean now – mine almost touches drive side, probably a rizla paper out, and maybe 1mm max out on the other side. Doesn’t creak though

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 rear hubs. A question? ( specific to trek ex frames)’ is closed to new replies.