Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 rear hub spacer stuck, help!!
  • robinbetts
    Free Member

Hi knowledgable bikers, I’m attempting to replace the bearings in my rear pro 2 hub and I’m stuck on the drive side spacer, literally. I’ve tried wd40 and hot water. I’m using a pair of mole grips and also have a vise (but it’s only mounted on a folding workmate so not great). Been using some innertube between vice/grips and the spacer so I don’t damage it. But it just ain’t budging!

Please floor this thread with all your awesome tips and tricks!

Many thanks as always

Olly
    Free Member

as in, the spacer between the freehub, and the hub shell, which keeps the freehub from binding against the hub shell?.

If so, i would suggest, putting the hub/wheel, on a piece of wood, with a hole cut in it, marginally bigger than the bearing, so that the brake mounts are supported as best they can be, and then SMACKING the axel out the bottom (NDS) of the hub with a hammer.
    that should do it 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Is the cassette off the the freehub?
    TBH I have always used a smooth jacked vice and twisting wiggling motion and they pull out. Or shaft clamps if it’s really tight.

robinbetts
    Free Member

No, it’s the cover that sits about 5mm inside the freehub body, which the skewer goes through. Which is supposedly held in place with an o-ring, but feels more like it’s been glued in!!

martinxyz
    Free Member

Maybe try two large flat bladed screwdrivers with a bit of gaffer tape around each tip opposite each other and prise it out of the freehub body as gently as poss.Try and keep even leverage on both sides to get it out easier.I did an old ti-glide yesterday and the driveside was tight as well. The vice will damage it more than the screwdrivers.Marking it wont be as bad as ovalizing it.I tried a Park axle clamp on it first,but it wasnt gripping it enough.The two protected blades did the job with ease.

robinbetts
    Free Member

The hope video calls it a spacer.

Yes, I’ve got the cassette off, and the “spacer” from the other side (which was easy).

martinxyz
    Free Member

Prise the o-ring out of the spacer once its removed and clean the groove for it.Fit a new o-ring if you have one or clean up the old one before giving it a dab of grease.I rolled the old o-ring so that the damaged areas of the o-ring were now inside the groove.It seemed to pop on and off easier.It was a bit chewed up.

Olly
    Free Member

oh i see.
    first time i did it, i clamped it in a vice, picked the wheel up with the vice attatched, which then fell off and DIDNT land on my foot Thank F*!!

its V stiff the first time.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Rrrraaaaaaa!!!!! Got the little fkr! Thanks guys!!

Highland28
    Free Member

Anyone got any more tips for this, can’t seem to get mine off either 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

shouldhuv bought shimano innit 😛

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 rear hub spacer stuck, help!!’ is closed to new replies.