Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hope pro 2 20mm bolt thru feels slow
  • jools182
    Free Member

Got some new wheels built last month
    Brand new hope pro 2 hubs
    The bearings on the front hub are really draggy. If I turn the bike upside down and spin the wheel hard it only does one rev before stopping. The bearings feel smooth just slow. I’ve e mailed hope but they have said send the hub back to where I bought it which isn’t really an option as its now a wheel and I got it from UK bike store, by the time I’ve paid for postage I could buy a new hub
    Anyone else had the same problem?

legend
    Free Member

i assume you’ve spun the wheel with the brake caliper out of the way?

jools182
    Free Member

Yes, its definitely the hub

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Take the wheel off and have a ‘feel’ of the bearings?

jools182
    Free Member

Tried that last night. Removed the cups and had a quick look and spin of the bearings. They feel smooth, just slow

br
    Free Member

Maybe the bearings need ‘seating’, try that.

jools182
    Free Member

Does that mean just pushing them into the hub?

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’ve had to change the front bearings on 3 sets of new Hopes , they where loose on the 20mm axle and one set were ProIII XC hubs QR were also loose, fitted new bearings from my local bearing supplier problems gone, e-mailed Hope had no reply. I just changed them 10min job.
    I’m not having a go at Hope , big fan , nice and easy to work on, and change to the different set ups, 20mm , Qr, 15mm, 135 QR, 12×135 awesome.
    But they were slow rotating and hopeless fitted rubbing on the brake disc due to movement.

jools182
    Free Member

the bearings don’t seem good at all

bikes hard enough to get up hills without the hubs dragging

kaesae
    Free Member

My front hope hub spins and spins, I just run good quality bearings and grease them up!

jools182
    Free Member

so the answer is to buy new bearings?

I’ve just skinted myself buying the hubs 🙁

kaesae
    Free Member

I’ll demo them tomorrow, I can’t be arsed tonight!

kaesae
    Free Member

I’m not sure if you will need to replace the bearings, they might not be sitting fully aligned.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As kaesea says the bearings might just need to be seated properly. Find a something ( socket?) that is a good fit to press on the outer race only and give each side a good sharp tap with a hammer.

teh other possible issue is tight seals which will wear and bed in allowing the wheel to spin easily

jools182
    Free Member

tried it still the same

hope aren’t being much use either, saying I’ll have t send the hub back to the shop, then after that send it to Hope

probably cost me £40 to send a wheel to UK Bike Store, and then send it to Hope

kaesae
    Free Member

Not too good then, these things happen sometimes, that said here’s a demo of my bearings.

😀

jim
    Free Member

hope aren’t being much use either, saying I’ll have t send the hub back to the shop, then after that send it to Hope

Your contract is with the shop, not Hope.

robably cost me £40 to send a wheel to UK Bike Store, and then send it to Hope

If they’re faulty UK Bike Store will pay for postage, distance selling innit?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Not sure what postal service you’re using that costs £40 to post a wheel?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Or just ride the bike. On a positive note there’s a little extra training benefit now.

The bearings will free up in time and you’ll be fitter. Win win.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro 2 20mm bolt thru feels slow’ is closed to new replies.