Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope m4
  • Carter
    Free Member

My new ride has some second hand hope m4 brakes on it with new pads.

They are great when at low speed they stop on a pin. But when at any speed the breaking distance is much greater.

I have noticed the levers are quite spongy to the feel.

On my old hayes 9’s there was a grub screw in the lever that allowed for the responsiveness of the brakes to be changed. Is there somthing similar with the hopes?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

Jammy111
    Free Member

depends which levers you have- tech, mono etc

Onzadog
    Free Member

As a mater of course, bleed them as you don’t know how well they’ve been cared for in the past. If that doesn’t help, the pads may be contaminated.

The adjusted screw on those is just for lever reach, nothing else (unless you mean the tech m4)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hopes tend to have a softer lever feel than other brakes.

There is a grub screw in the lever pivot but it only adjusts the lever throw

They should stop very well – if not then glazed pads / sticky pistons / needs a bleed

Carter
    Free Member

I brought the bike as second hand from LBS so I presume they have been recently bled as its had a full service/tidy up. And the pads are brand new.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

…so I presume…

Rarely a good idea. However…

And the pads are brand new.

Then they’ll need bedding into the rotors before you get full braking performance.

I’d suggest that you ask the shop if the brakes were bled. If not, ask them to do it for you as it’s a fundamental part of the bike set-up that should have been done. If you don’t get any joy from them, it’s a simple task. Check out the videos on Hope’s site, or try here for a picture guide. It’s a simple task; no fancy kits needed for Hopes.

messiah
    Free Member

Hope and Hayes brakes feel very different. Even if the Hopes are working perfecty you might struggle to live with them if you like how Hayes feel.

I’m also not a huge fan of M4’s (with either the Mono or the Tech lever) – I simply don’t think they are a great performer.

ando227
    Free Member

I am delighted with my M4s, outright braking power is one thing but feel is quite another. I think they have the best combination of both, having tried avid, hayes and shimano.

kimbers

i have the older style mono m4s and they work very well-just as good at high speed as at low

sounds like a they need to be bled to me

rudedog
    Free Member

Get them bedded in first before you worry about needing to bleed them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope m4’ is closed to new replies.