Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hope headset experts
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’ve got a traditional Hope 1 1/8th external headset, current design, which has been on the bike 5 years. It’s now starting to show signs of the bearings packing up as I’m having to tweak it more often than I used to and its feeling a bit gritty.

When I took the headset apart when I fitted new forks last year the bearings came out quite easily so I assumed would be easy to replace. Having checked the Hope website and suppliers, I can’t find any bearing references anywhere, but I am sure they must be standard cartridge bearings. Anyone any ideas on spec and places to get them?

khani
    Free Member

Here
    Or get the numbers off the rubber seal and go to your local bearing supplier..

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks for that link. Unfortunately looks like all the headset parts on UK Bikestore are for the 07 headset which I think is the predecessor to the current model. Also, there is only one bearing and IIRC there are different sizes top and bottom.

Anyone else arriving on the morning shift got any ideas?

coatesy
    Free Member

Pre 07 headsets didn’t have removable bearings, later ones had bearings that are licensed to Hope, so won’t be available from other sources.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Cane creak S3 fits mine and they are £14 for 2 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Pre 07 headsets didn’t have removable bearings, later ones had bearings that are licensed to Hope, so won’t be available from other sources

I’ve got no problems buying Hope bearings. I buy the Hope ones for my hubs even though I know I can get them possibly 10% cheaper elsewhere.

So if a shop is listing Hope headset bearings does that mean they are definitely the right ones for my headset? Does anyone know if the top and bottom bearings are different sizes?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hope headset experts’ is closed to new replies.