Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hope GXP BB Conversion – Bit of Help?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

For road but should be not different?

So std road shell – 68mm
    Have SRAM Apex cranks

Fitted Hope road BB with GXP conversion (admittedly in a rush) before work this morning.

All assembled with no spacers – tightened and bearings overloaded.
    Stupidly removed and fitted 2 1mm spacers and the same – now at work.

My thoughts on what went wrong? – Took up the slack but didn’t back off and then reload? Thinking about it and viewing the Hope video me thinks that the GXP spacers were not butting the axle and thus overloading the bearings (too tight to turn).

So – Go home later – remove cranks and cups – remove all spacers – reassemble – take up slack, loosen and then load to proper torque – Does that sound reasonable?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

only tip to offer is to cut a small slot in the rings to make removing easier in future…

foxyrider
    Free Member

The only other thing is just to measure the BB shell just in case is >68mm a bit?

foxyrider
    Free Member

No worries then – quite a specific Question – I’ll have another play tonight 🙂 I’m sure there is a simple explanation 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Update: Fixed

Somehow on fitting I managed to push the NDS bearing out of the shell a little as it was deforming out outer plastic seal – Knocked it back in with the soft end of the screw driver and hey presto all sorted 🙂

Macavity
    Free Member

We like a story with a happy ending.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Me too 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hope GXP BB Conversion – Bit of Help?’ is closed to new replies.