Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Hope Freehub, Confirm What I Already Know!
  • endurokid
    Free Member

So,

Set off for today’s ride but had to return early due to the bike making horrible noises. Stripped the rear hub and it turns out a bearing had collapsed and the Pawls/springs were shot.

Upon cleaning the freehub I noticed what looks to be a thread inside the freehub, but I suspect this is scoring due to the bearing, am I right?

New freehub time?

(Check me out, uploading photos all by myself!)

scotroutes

Next you’ll even make it to the right forum….

endurokid
    Free Member

Indeed. I realised after I posted but don’t know how to move the thread over. But thank you for answering my question.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No need for a new freehub, that’s the bearing outer shell that you can see, the inner shell (race) and ball bearings have gone. You need to get those out, which is a bit of a job tbh, and replace the bearings.

TrevorB

The thing that you think is threaded is actually the outer shell of the bearing. Sort that and I think it will be OK.
    Edit: too slow..

JonEdwards
    Free Member

If you’re talking about the silver ring shown in the top photo – that’s just the outer bearing races. You’ll need to knock them out (might be easier said than done), then you can just press 2 new bearings in and job jobbed.

Chances are the pawls will scrub up OK too. Pawl springs are consumables.

Wally

You need a mate with the superstar bearing puller kit.
    This one, very useful on catching behing collapsed bearings and pulling them out.

I take it you do not once a year pull off the freehub and dab some grease behind it and take a gander at the pawls?

endurokid
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Do you think the bearing housing can be knocked out from inside with a screwdriver?

I also noticed the tube that sits between both bearings has some scoring marks on so I guess this will need replacing too? Or will it make no difference to the operation of the hub?

I binned the pawls as I was just going to replace them with new, but didn’t realise the bearing was goosed too, but the other being is super smooth which is nice, but I suppose it would make send to replace both?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Replace all bearings, the outer one is easy to knock out, the inner one can be a right bastard. Reuse the wee spacer tube, it’s only for spacing the bearings out anyway.

endurokid
    Free Member

Cheers dude, exactly what I was thinking!

swanny853

I have solved that problem, but it was awkward and not a lot of fun. Hopefully you won’t get what happened to me when the inner of the two outer races split in half leaving a very thin ring of metal just inside the lip it sits on. I had to use a very slim saw blade to take enough of a nic out of the race and the lip to tap it out. Freehub is still in use with no obvious ill effects however, just needed a little care to tidy it up

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, they can be a proper bugger. Last time I took it into work and machined out a wee channel in the shoulder with a desoutter so that I can punch the bearings out from either side next time. No effect on the function off the freehub, but way easier.

scotroutes

I realised after I posted but don’t know how to move the thread over.

Simples. You await a helpful stranger reporting it to the mods on your behalf.

Don’t mention it.

endurokid
    Free Member

Thank you all for the advice, and for moving the thread over!

Hopefully I’ll get this sorted soon.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Blind bearing puller and (piping)hot water.

endurokid
    Free Member

Ok, so, query number 2:

I noticed I only had one large spacer between the bearings, but watching the Hope tech video there are two, but one smaller.

Does anyone know a one stop shop where I can buy all parts in one place, i.e. Springs/pawls/bearings and spacers?

Checked CRC but I’m not quite sure!

Cheers

stevede
    Free Member

Uk bike store are normally pretty well stocked on Hope spares so try there. I had this issue with the freehub bearings, pain in the arse getting the remains out of the freehub, a vice, a hammer and a drift or two came in handy!

Klunk
    Free Member

can’t you reuse the spacers ?

toofarwest

Save yourself the hassle and buy a complete freehub body.

endurokid
    Free Member

I seem to have binned the spacer, but they only cost a few quid so may as well replace and five it a proper overhaul.

A new freehub will cost about £60 whereas parts will be half that, and I can’t see the point in binning a perfectly good Freehub, and I’d rather not bin stuff for the sake of it.

I’ll give UK Bike Store a try, cheers.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I noticed I only had one large spacer between the bearings, but watching the Hope tech video there are two, but one smaller

It looks to me like you have the original Pro 2 hub which has 2 bearings side by side at the pawl end and a single spacer. The video you have seen is for the EVO freehub which has separate bearings and 2 spacers.

rp16v
    Free Member

Find a spacer that fits just on the edge of the ridge of the race, hit it so it bends slightly enough to go into the race(u have some lovley lips there for it to sit against) then hit from the other end of driver a socket extension bar works nice with the body sat proud on the edges should come out fine
    Done this lots of times with hubs and pivots worked probably 90% of the time others I had to get pulled by a bike shop with the correct tools

Klunk
    Free Member

It looks to me like you have the original Pro 2 hub which has 2 bearings side by side at the pawl end and a single spacer.

the proII has two spacers the second smaller one 2mm goes between the free hub and main bearing (9) Barrel spacer in the following schematic

endurokid
    Free Member

@klunk – thanks for the diagram, makes it easier with the bearing codes. But I’m unsure about the internal spacer, picture shows 25mm but CRC list it as 14mm despite their picture showing 25mm, or am I missing something?

Klunk
    Free Member

think the 14mm may well be the diameter of the spacer not the length, contact crc or hope and see what they say.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If you’re unsure, just ring service @ Hope. Someone will be in today and they’ll give you the part numbers you need. That’s the advantage of buying British, you can call up the guy that made it and ask him about it!

endurokid
    Free Member

I’ve emailed Hope but they’re closed until the 5th.

I’ve managed to locate all the bits from UK Bike Store based on the above diagram.

Thanks all!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

It does say it is 25mm at the bottom of that picture on the CRC screen shot, suitable for QR/10/12mm. Think 14mm is the id and the 2mm option is the spacer that goes under the freehub.

endurokid
    Free Member

Well, the rebuild dream is over.

Managed to get both damaged bearing races out but scored the inside of the Freehub, and I also noticed a tiny hairline crack where the pawls sit, so it’s time for a new one.

Thank you for everyone for taking the time to respond to the thread, it’s been a great help.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Before you give up, ring Hope Service in the morning, if it’s cracked they may swap it for you. Just read they’re closed until 5th! Sorry.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure hope will warranty that if it is indeed cracked mate.

endurokid
    Free Member

Worth a call I suppose. But do you think they’d consider it now I’ve slightly scored the inside removing the bearings, they may think I’ve caused the crack.

I might email them a few pictures first.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Hope Freehub, Confirm What I Already Know!’ is closed to new replies.