Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hookless rims? What's the go?
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Seen mention of hookless rims (specifically carbon rims). Are these for tubeless tyres only? Can you run non UST / normal beaded tyres with inner tubes on them? Whats the craic? I feel I’ve missed some revelation in the last 6 months that I have been in the wilderness.

Do the yres stay on? Suitable for DH? All of the questions?

Did have a search on here but I think ive missed the point of them and skipped straight to the bit where everyone is already discussing which ones to use…

Ta.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Back in the day all wheels were hookless, and 29er. Fashions come and go.

The reason they went away was tyres werent very strong or consistently sized so required a bead hook to keep them on the rim. Now theyre kevlar beaded and all consistently the right size the hook is redundant.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Isn’t the hook only redundant when the tyre bead sits on the rim by it, a la stans?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

MMM well my Light Bicycle DH rims have arrived and they are hookless so as they are being built up in the LBS at the moment I guess I better work out if I need to replace my current wire bead DHF’s with some UST DHF’s!

Anyone any the wiser? Should I buy some UST’s?

Ta.

Northwind

LB and Specialized seem completely confident the bead is unneccesary. Wire maxxi usually tubeless up alright as long as the bead’s in good shape.

The specialized comments on this were brilliant.

“So we hired this new carbon engineer who knows nothing about bikes. He said “Why do rims have beads”. We said “Durr, because. Everyone knows that” He said “I don’t know anything, tell me why?” So we said “Durr, because”. and after a few rounds of that, we thought we’d better find out why…

kimbers

those new enve rims are hookles and they cost a billion pounds so it must be good

one happy hippy, how long did your LB rims take to arrive, ordered some on monday and impatient!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I ordered on the 28th of Feb and they arrived Tuesday. I was quoted 7-13 working days build time and 4-7 working days shipping. I think they were still trying to catch up after New Year. I also changed my order from clincher to hookless which may have added a day or two of delay basically 5 weeks in total.

If you ask they will put any value you like on the shipping label. To oz the standard is $60 so you don’t get taxed.

Quality looks excellent, the finish on the one is flawless however there is a slight imperfection in the second rim where the outer UD cosmetic layer overlaps but it hardly noticeable.

The general build quality looks really good and they are dead straight.

At 170USD I can buy nearly 6 LB rims for the price of one Enve and I doubt one envy Rim will last as long as 6 LB Rims…

Northwind

My LBs just dispatched, possibly purely coincidentally 1 day after I sent them an email going oi!

LB have developed a good rep for warranty/crash replacement fwiw. I hope not to use it mind.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

From my experience the communication / service was pretty good even though I initially order clincher type (erroneously on my part – I thought all their rims had gone hookless)and changed the order to hookless emails were replied within 24-24(exc time difference) and I was updated when they were shipped etc admittedly a couple of days after I enquired too 😛

I think they might be suffering as a result of their own success slightly!

Dropped the rims and Hope ProII’s in the the LBS tonight – being built with DT Comps and brass pro-lock nipples (3 cross) and will be going on my DH bike which I intend to smash in to every rock and root going to test them prior to Whistler in sept! 😀

goodgrief
    Free Member

Just back from my first ride on LB 35mm hookless rims. Using WTB Vigilante tyres which have a UST bead and are very tight to get on the rim. Was expecting to run these at proper low pressures to work with the extra support the width gives you but it turns out you can pinch the carcass on rocks. Definitely different to a tear, had two small holes between the tread directly above the rim wall. However, no burps or problems with the rim.

stomlinson
    Free Member

One happy hippy any chance of telling us the weight of your wheel build? Tubeless or tubes too? Good grief what pressures were you trying to run? Cheers

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

On paper they should be 1780-1790g. Will hopefully pick them up next week once they have been built and will let you know what the actual weight is.

My current Easton Havoc DH wheels are about 2250g so it should be a fair old weight saving on the V10!

Will likely be running wire bead Maxxis DHF dual ply 2.5″ tyres with a tube in as the bike goes back and forth between the UK and OZ and tubeless is too much faff letting the tyres down every time I fly.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Well, I had in my mind I’d let them down to about 20psi but now I’ve had the track pump fitted and compared the gauge to the squidgy hand test, it was more like 10… maybe there is something to these wide rims after all!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hookless rims? What's the go?’ is closed to new replies.