Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)
  • HONCed
  • aracer
    Free Member

Well the second half of the 100k course was certainly tough – or at least that's how I found it after hanging with some guys going a bit quicker than me for 40k or so of the first half.

So who rode a crosser leaving a full-sus in the garage and regrets their bike choice – was rather drier and harder than I was expecting (I was on my susser!)

Houns

*Half puts hand up*

I only managed the 50k as back started giving me grief up the first climb. Was on the CX bike – Perfect bike for the course though i wasn't the perfect rider for it – I've not had it too long and haven't got the balls to descend on the drops yet – So on any descent i minced down as couldn't get full power on the brakes from the hoods 😳

Oh and thanks to the Knights of niche for the company

crewlie

Chose my rigid Kona over my full sus, I now ache pretty much everywhere, and that was only the 50k.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Forgot this was on and saw a good few people while doing my local route up cleeve hill with a mate.
    One of the few I spoke with said he was at about 71km into it.
    Was a bit windy today too I must say. Otherwise the ground conditions were good weren't they? Better than a healthy dollop of cotswold mud?

Well done to all!

ps44
    Free Member

Another fine day out. I decided on a 100K pootle today, and got round in 5h30 – a bit quicker than expected, but my plan was to cruise the first half and then kick on for the second half. This worked out perfectly and I was comfortable all the way round. Could have done without that headwind on the final climb though 😥
    Great conditions out there today, and as usual a very well run event. Thanks to all.

Alex

I put my rigid Kona away and kept my FS 🙂 Glad I did. Rode a lot of the course with a lad on a Kona Jake the Snake (Blue). He was going really well down the rutted descents. Fair play to the fella.

The final climb into the headwind wasn't much fun for anyone. Still last descent was ace.

Apart from feeling as I may have been violated by the rough end of a pineapple, I feel pretty good. Paced myself, drank alot, ate much cake 🙂

Words you don't want to hear on arriving home "DAD, DAD CAN YOU PLAY WITH US ON THE TRAMPOLINE" 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Forgot to say – thanks to the organisors for another good event. Was particularly impressed with the signage (something I was a bit worried about as something new, having experienced dodgy signing on sportives) – only one junction where there was any sort of issue, and that was only because the sign was a bit hidden by the trees (though a very helpful chap was standing there directing – was he a marshall, or just somebody random?)

Dasha
    Free Member

I did the 100k and felt quite beat up by the hard-tail. I did it on the Anthem last year and with hindsight it was the correct choice. Still it was an excellent event and I'll be back next year to hopefully nudge under the 5hr mark which eluded me this year, mainly due to cramp, due in part to a lack of any serious training.

longboroughnick
    Free Member

Did the 50 – last five of which nearly killed me – Loved the really mixed friendly crowd at this event and the weather today.

ps44
    Free Member

Yay for signage. Even though I know the area well, it saved having to memorise the route. Garmin ? Shmarmin.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yay for signage indeed, great day out as usual.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I tried the CX bike (thank you Mr Taxman) for the first time, my arms are still shaking, I got off and walked near the bottom of a lot of the descents because 1. I couldn't hang on the the bars any longer 2. I was getting blurred vision 3. the pounding was giving me a headache 🙄

That's my excuses and I'm sticking to it them.

Quite enjoyable on the whole though, but the FS with Conti 1.5's would have been a better choice.

The Garmin worked perfectly BTW.

emac65
    Free Member

Yep top day out indeed,did the 100 on my rigid Maxlight & blew the tyres up at the feed station to 45 psi !Which felt much better than the 25-30 that had been in them before.Although it rattled my fillings at times…. 😯

Houns

Glad it wasn't just me then Dibbs – There was also one fast downhill track that had tyre tracks along it's length where i had to stop half way down,the speed combined with the pattern of the tyre tread in the ground was making my eyes and head go funny 😕

Dibbs
    Free Member

I was just telling my daughters boyfriend about the Tractor tyre prints, not very pleasant at all. I think I'd better go out and check what's shaken loose on the bike 🙂

Hells

Oooh those tractor tyre prints were not nice!!!

Great course as ever. Thanks to the organisers as usual!!

petefromearth

this was my first honc, and i thought it was a great event, will definately be back next year! thanks to all the marshalls & bakers. tea and cakes at half time was the highlight for me 🙂

rode my rigid 29er which was a good choice for all of it except the descent down cleeve hill, all the fs riders i'd overtaken on the way up were looking very smug! 🙂

respect to anyone on a cx bike who lived to tell the tale

Potter
    Free Member

did the 100k and found the last 40k to be quite tough in the way of havin the shit rattled out of me on my hardtail
    didnt help takin a wrong turn down a hill for maybe 2 mile of up and down hills 🙄
    thoroughly enjoyed it though
    and i must say to anyone who did on a rigid or cx bike i take my hat off to you i truly do

TheSwede
    Free Member

A few too many attention whores and pot holes for my liking.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well and truly battered after riding my new scandium hardtail. What a pounding! Still really enjoyed it. 5hrs 40 for the 100. Started right at the back due to faffage by my mate at. The start. Definately an improvement on last year where I got lost and finished in 8 hours! Love the descents

MrAgreeable

Dear god, please spare us more speculation about what makes the ideal bike for the HONC. On the 100k today I saw people out on all manner of bikes, some of which I wouldn't ride to the shops, but everyone still seemed to be having a good time – or at least the sort of miserable time you can feel proud of afterwards.

Anyway, well done to the organisers for keeping things fresh with new bits of route, the signage was great (we still took a short accidental detour, but that was our own fault) and the bread and butter pudding was spot on as ever. 🙂

Houns

Agreed, the bread and butter pudding was superb

singlespeedstu

How's the roadrash Swede?

Houns

Oh i hope that white bike isn't scratched?!

aracer
    Free Member

A few too many attention whores

and pot holes for my liking.

You're complaining about bumpy bits on an off-road event? 🙄

singlespeedstu

don't get yourself in a flap there aracer.

He's just taking the p1ss. 🙄

Come on swede show us some pics of your scuffs.

timothecimmerian

Great day – lovely weather, conditions, competitors and organisers. Was unashamedly on the full susser with a steady plod around the 50k route with my brother.

Big thanks to the Leisure Lakes guys at the Cake stop for sorting my gears out – they replaced the outer and inner rear mech cable while I ate bread and butter pudding. I had lovely slick shifting for the remainder of the ride. Enjoying a few post ride beers as we speak.

See you next year.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Just uploaded the Garmin 6hrs 3mins for the 100k, I'm not unhappy with that. Garmin Connect

Andy

Yeah my first and a fantastic day. Well done to the organisers, the signage certainly made it an easy day. Brilliant crowd to chat to round on the route as well.

Although I will be buying a sat nav after getting hopelessly lost getting there which meant I didn't get going until 9.40 😳 . Still finished the 100 in 5.47 so chuffed to bits with that as I wasn't sure I'd make it round at all!

Oh and happy with bike choice; 29er with skinny tyres and front suss and a carbon post. I was wincing for some of the crosser guys on the off road bits! And also well impressed by the singlespeeders doing 100km on those hills though. well done all!

sheldona
    Free Member

Those attention whores were all over the place on the climbs and descents pah……………….

simonb
    Free Member

Yeah was a good event my first time. Second half was deffo harder the first. Quite pleased with my time of 5hr 41mins. Did anyone clean that deepish ford crossing near Gutling Power – I did somehow, when most took the dry line!

TheSwede
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

How's the roadrash Swede?
    Mmmm weeping pussy. Felt sorry for my self so ate my missus easter egg. Looking forward to sticky sheets tonight. All covered up with dressings and melted chocolate now but here's a pic from my last bit of gravel rash after flipping my drz.

H
    Free Member

It was a great day. I went for the 100k on my giant xtc and came in at 4hr 35mins. Huge respect to anyone who did it on a cross bike. I was bouncing around with 80mm forks and was pleased that I left the cross bike at home.

The signs were great – my thanks go to the organisers.

singlespeedstu

Looking forward to sticky sheets tonight.

Did you drop some easter egg on them or something then? 😉

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

I'll add my thanks to the organisers and marshalls, well done chaps. I thought that it was going to be a mudfest, with all the rain we've had over the past month, but the course was bone dry for the most part.

Having said which, I yet again failed to complete the full 100km ride. Got to about the 75km mark (where the chap was marking cards) and decided, due to severe knackeredness, that I'd take the easy way out and grovelled back on the road. Sounds like I did the the sensible thing, not sure if my legs would have taken another steep off-road climb.

Much respect to the guys on singlespeeds who did the full 100km – I managed the 50km on my SS last year, and felt like I'd been through a cement mixer.

sheldona
    Free Member

Sticky Sticky sheets? Did you damage your tip as well?

TheSwede
    Free Member

#
    Ayatollahofniche – Member

Sticky Sticky sheets? Did you damage your tip as well?
    Posted 1 minute ago # Report-Post
    Only the tips of my fingers. Luckily not my wiping digit.

singlespeedstu

You been trying to read braille on the cheese grater again mate.

Houns

Lol! Looks nasty, hope doesn't bugger yer tatt up

sheldona
    Free Member

Thats all fake, he only scratched a little patch on his elbow. Attentionwhoreism at its best!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘HONCed’ is closed to new replies.