Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)
  • Homemade, CNC'd balance bike – much progress!
  • stevied
    Free Member

I started a thread ages ago about making a balance bike for my little girl. Things didn’t really get going but now I’ve had a chance to make a start and it’s going along nicely I reckon 🙂
    I wanted to make as much of the bike as possible but will need to buy a few bits.
    A few pics of progress:
    Downtube (2″ aluminium tube)

Swingarm (CNC machined out of solid billet)

Stem (CNC machined from solid billet. 28mm offset)

Bars and stem

Just need to turn the headtube, seat tube and swingarm fixing.
    Hopefully get it done in time for Christmas…

mos

Cool as hell. I like.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

If you don’t get a move on she’ll be asking for the keys so she can borrow the car.

“No, I can’t take you to University, a few more bits and I’ve nearly finished your balance bike”… 😆

tonyd

Fantastic work OP, I’d love to be able to do something like this. I take it you have a background in metalwork? And have the tools to hand or access to a good workshop?

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks guys!
    breatheeasy: yeah, the idea started ages ago but I’ve only just had a chance to do anything about it. 3 days to do the bits above..
    tonyd: I’m a CNC programmer so have access to lathes, mills etc. Makes it much easier to do stuff like this 🙂

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Nice work, fella. I’m a CNC programmer myself – wish I had chance to make cool parts like that!

stevied
    Free Member

I have a very good boss b&b 😉

kelvin

Oooooo…. nice!

AlexSimon

What do the 3 bolts on the back of the stem do? I can’t see a split to close-up.

stevied
    Free Member

What do the 3 bolts on the back of the stem do?

I’ve not split it yet. Just waiting til I get the forks done to make sure it’s a good fit (easier to open the bore up on the stem than alter the steerer)

AlexSimon

cool – ta

D0NK

Hmmm interesting. Awaits fully built pics.

Swingarm (CNC machined out of solid billet)

suspension?

stevied
    Free Member

Was tempted to do some sort of suspension but then realised it would be a nightmare to fit it into the design..

ocrider

Ti plate instead of pivot?

fathomer

Very cool!

Are you going to paint it, laquer it? Would look ace in the bare metal but not very girly.

stevied
    Free Member

Yeah, probably going to paint it but will see how it looks in raw 1st..

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Logos and valves lined up….tick.

Dust cap….fail.

Other than that, looks superb. It’ll have to go on the wall when she grows out of it.

stevied
    Free Member

Design help needed…4″, 5″ or 6″ headtube?

honourablegeorge

You can always add spoacers to increase the height of the 4″ one, so I’d always go that route.

Tait said, you can probably machine the 6″ one down if you need to.

stevied
    Free Member

I think the 5″ looks best for proportions.

Northwind

You are insane. Love it.

mick_r

Fab!

Are you doing the welding or getting a colleague involved? Any heat treatment or just letting it age?

Finished in time for Christmas?

And please misalign the tyre and valve just to annoy trivialists 🙂

crapjumper
    Free Member

You clever bastard ! That’s awesome !

stevied
    Free Member

I’ll be letting our welder do the welding but I’ll jig it all up.
    Not going to heat treat as our aluminum supplier said there was no need.
    Aiming for Christmas but she’ll still be a bit young for it…

lurchh
    Free Member

I’m looking to make one of these myself from mild steel but I have no idea what size of tubing to use. How are you going to install the headset cups?
    thanks

mick_r

Mild steel might be a bit of a lump. Harvesting some tubes from an old frame might be better. Saying that, for a single tube frame, some 1.5″ ERW tube would be about right size, cheap, easy to get and won’t be too heavy.

Nicer stuff would be Columbus cro-moly in 0.8mm wall from Ceeway for about £12 plus VAT for a 1.5m length. I made this bigger bike (for 7 to 12 yr old) with 1″ top / down tubes. Seat tube will generally be 28.6 (1 1/8″) for a 27.2 seatpost.

stevied
    Free Member

Bit more progress today. Got the headtube machined and made some simple gussets:

@lurchh
    : I’m using an FSA headset for a Giant OCR. It’s a funny size so CRC were selling them off cheap. I’ve just made the headtube the correct size for these cups. The main tubes on this frame are 2″ diameter with a 2.5mm wall.

mick_r

Looks great – what is the little machined groove / pocket under the down tube? (in the gusset photo)

jonathan
    Free Member

Nice work – really looking forward to watching this progress 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

I had intended to do a single 10mm wide gusset but decided it would look better to have 2 thinner ones. Will be filled before painting so it won’t be seen 😉

nodrog2
    Free Member

Looking forward to seeing this finished. Great work so far fella.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Excellent stuff.

stevied
    Free Member

Just picked up some nice, free scandium bars. Need to cut them down a bit and get them anodized..

chives
    Free Member

Looks the absolute dogs ! Chapeau !

timthetinyhorse

Stunning work OP!! Love home built bike threads and this is right up my street.

Im currently planning a carbon balance bike for my little one, he is only 7 month so i have a good time scale to get it done 🙂

Keep up the good work and i look forward to updates

stevied
    Free Member

Ooh, carbon balance bike! That would be cool..look forward to seeing that take shape.

withersea
    Free Member

What a very lucky child. I wish I was this talented! I think the final build should get a review in the mag or at least an appearance in fresh goods Friday!

stevied
    Free Member

More progress! Front end all welded up..

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Looking good!! Impressive work! 🙂

edd

@ stevied – I saw that you were after some old fork stanchions the other day on classifieds. I have some Fox 36 stanchions that you can have for the price of postage. Obviously they’re worn out for suspension use but I imagine would be fine for a project like this. 195mm, 1 1/8” steerer, can’t send them until Monday though. E-mail if you’re interested.

Good work with the project by the way.

e-mail by eddkh, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Homemade, CNC'd balance bike – much progress!’ is closed to new replies.