Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Home insurance that covers bikes in outhouse / garage?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hi

I realise this has probably been done a few times before but due to an extortionate renewal quote from Churchill I need to look around.

Basically Churchill covered my bike being stolen from the out-house and I don't need cover out of the home.

Any suggestions for general contents-only insurance with bike cover then?

thanks

jam-bo

do you really have to ask? M+S….

dirtratcookie
    Free Member

M&S refused to cover me due to where I live – a flood risk apparently, despite previously insuring me. Apparently if I'd not moved insurer they would have had to honour the renewal but having left them now won't take me back. I found success with NFU Mutual so give them a go if you need a comparison but they don't do online quotes unfortunately.

iain1775
    Free Member

2 bikes each valued at £2500 and £3000 covered in outbuilding/shed or car etc so long as not visable and locked costs me extra £60ish a year on my existing policy with Halifax

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

hmmm, snot bad – just got a quote with More Than and as £3k bike is a named item it's covered in and out of house/outbuildings for about £60 ..

still looking…

excuse my ignorance but what makes M&S so good then?

ta

ART

Same experience as dirtrat only I was still with M&S so they had to honour… entertaining coversation though … me 'I'm looking at the EA flood risk map and there really isn't a risk' them …. 'it says here (no evidence source provided) that you are in a risk area'…. good grief. Useful to hear of other providers cause will defo look around next time.

B@BR
    Free Member

Try Cycleguard. They have a number of options that you can add on. They're big with BC and Evans.

spooky_b329

excuse my ignorance but what makes M&S so good then?

Absolutely no small print relating to bicycles 🙂 They don't even want to know you've got them, unless any are worth over £4k.

All it states is that you have to take reasonable precautions to prevent loss or damage to your possessions.

Cycleguard…good luck! The premium will be around 10% of the bikes value per year, plus you will have to jump through hoops backwards to ensure you comply with their small print.

TheFlyingOx

A big -1 for Cycleguard. They quoted me nearly £600/year to cover a £3500 bike locked up in the garage. My car costs less to insure than that.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

ah well thanks guys, I ended up going with more than with my bike as named item.

This way it's covered locked in the shed but also locked in public (despite named items normally not covering bikes).

Only paying £60 a year more for bike and mrs RRR's engagement ring as named items so not too bad..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Home insurance that covers bikes in outhouse / garage?’ is closed to new replies.