Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Holiday nightmares (sick children)* need advice.
  • popstar
    Free Member

Currently at the end of our 2 weeks holiday in Mallorca with 2 kids (3yo and 1yo). Flight back home tomorrow, and today we see our children covered in chicken pox. This Monday supposed to start new job, so that screws it up a bit too.

Tried to talk to Thomson rep about our options, but he will be back to hotel in 2 hours. I hear from e-net stories that in my case airline will refuse us travel.

If you know, please recommend me what to do.

darrenspink
    Free Member

More than likely they will. You could of course cover your child up and hope for the best but obviously its highly infectious and dangerous for pregnant women.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I know someone who had to get the train back from the alps when their kids developed chicken pox. I wouldn’t say anything and cover their spots with makeup or kids face paints

jota180
    Free Member

If you’ve just noticed the spots, they are likely to be still infectious so no flying.

If the job is real important and you can’t miss the start day, leave your wife with the kids

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes do what cloud9 says and dont think about endangering or inconveniencing anyone else . Remember whatever you do do no think about how this might impact on anyone else and just think of yourself.

jam-bo

If the job is real important and you can’t miss the start day, leave your wife with the kids

And never, ever be allowed to forget it…

sweepy
    Free Member

If the job would rather you leave the mrs to struggle back on the train with 2 sick kids rather than cut you some slack then **** them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get on the phone to your travel insurance or at least read the policy to see where you stand.

jota180
    Free Member

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chickenpox/Pages/Introduction.aspx

To prevent spreading the infection, keep children off nursery or school until all their spots have crusted over.

Chickenpox is infectious from one to two days before the rash starts, until all the blisters have crusted over (usually five to six days after the start of the rash).

If your child has chickenpox, try to keep them away from public areas to avoid contact with people who may not have had it, especially people who are at risk of serious problems, such as newborn babies, pregnant women and anyone with a weakened immune system (for example, people having cancer treatment or taking steroid tablets).

stevestunts
    Free Member

First thing I would do is call someone at my new employers and explain the current situation, so at least they’re primed to the fact that you may not be in work on Monday. Better that than ring in on the day they’re expecting you to start.

If the call ends with, “Thanks for letting us know, we’ll see you on Monday”, then that’s going to determine what you do next.

jota180
    Free Member

One other thing
    If you or your wife have never had chicken pox, brace yourself, it’s horrendously uncomfortable in adults.
    My wife got it off one of our kids when she was in her 30s, you won’t believe some of the places she got the blisters – OK, maybe you would

popstar
    Free Member

We’re in Mallorca so no trains. Before we see rep we ‘re looking at various websites to rent appartments for at least 1 week as we realise planes are no go.

Any usefull information on where to look? Atm lurking on -rentalia.com for Alcudia apartments.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    geoffj

Popstar – have a look on Alpharooms. There are plenty of options not too pricey on there.
    Also, where are you?

Good luck.

edit: Actually, I’ve just had a look and choice isn’t great. Assuming you are up near Alcudia, then there appears to be options at Bahia De Alcudia hotel (£55 per night half board) or Hotel Duva (1 bed apartment self catering) for about £50 per night.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Get hold of the rep asap as they deal with this sort of thing regularly, when my colleagues kids were ill in Egypt the reps sorted out accommodation etc and helped get new flights booked all with no stress.

popstar
    Free Member

Thank you for many suggestions.

We are near Alcudia.

Talked to rep and waiting for duty doctor to come in the evening for a check up. He was the one who we allready used -on call- few nights ago. Our smallest one had high temperature and convulsions, it was suggested he caught a virus. It looks like he got a bucketload of nasties. We thought it was just a flu, but it seems there is more than that.

Just found out that insurance wife bought before holiday was declined due to card error etc, will try her premium bank account to see if we can cover something on premium account insurance.

At least we are not kicked out of hotel and allowed to stay for a while.

sonik
    Free Member

i’m with sweepy,
    don’t leave the family for a job. they are (obviously) more important!

chakaping
    Free Member

New job won’t be expecting you to do much in your first week anyway will they?

Maybe offer to do some extra shifts later, to show you’re nice.

grilla
    Free Member

Leave them, just think of the comfort of having 3 empty seats around you, let insurance and wife to get them back.

You’re on holiday in Mallorca, it’s hardly extreme, holiday rep should accommodate them until they can fly out.

andyl
    Free Member

Any decent trails and bike hire places around? 😉

project
    Free Member

Try the British embassy, theyre supposed to help and also try your insurance company.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Viru sooth gel and calpol for the kids and looks like an extended holiday.
    Bar plastering the kids in make up and infecting the whole plane you don’t have much choice until all the blisters have burst and scabbed over.

Suggsey
    Free Member

AirBnB app, to find local apartments or accomodation.

scuttler

Stick porridge oats in a pair of tights (tied up) and lob it in the bath with the kids. The water goes really milky and it’s very soothing on the skin. Can’t help with the logistical issues but good luck OP.

popstar
    Free Member

Thank you all for practical replies. Power of e-net will get us through, good we saved for rainy day a bit so should be fine.

igm

At 3 and 1 they may not suffer too much. Our two didn’t.

Apart from that I have no practical advice.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just found out that insurance wife bought before holiday was declined due to card error etc

Not helpful I know, but I thought your original post didn’t add up because most people would normally just speak to a doc and contact their insurance.

Personally I don’t know why you even considered going abroad without insurance??

globalti
    Free Member

Pu the kids in the sea, now. You’ll be amazed at how fast those spots disappear once they get soaked in salt water. I mean almost overnight.

Daffy

Are you sure it’s the pox, or is it just a post viral rash?

cloudnine
    Free Member

What happened?? Was it ebola? Did you get an extra weeks bike riding in?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Holiday nightmares (sick children)* need advice.’ is closed to new replies.