• This topic has 10 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ryand-spam.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • holiday insurance..mtb abroad
  • chico
    Free Member

biking with Lava trax next year in tenerife, does anyone know any insurance companies for holiday insurance that covers MTBing. they have a company i believe is £11.00 a day but would rather cover the whole holiday as going on out on our own as well as guided.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I use Virgin as they cover MTB’ing whilst away. I buy an annual policy and that covers me when ever I go away on holiday or away MTB’ing. £80 for the year is roughly what I pay.

d45yth
    Free Member

Flexicover Direct…I think I pay about £50 for a years cover. They even do cheaper options than this. I don’t mind their monthly emails either, usually about travel tips or obscure places/hotels.
    If you look about you should be able to get 20% discount code too.

moniex
    Free Member

These deals all sound great, our old yearly insurance included MTB, so they said (and stated in the documents). This however excluded anything downhill!?! When I questioned them this meant lift assisted riding in the alps would not actually be covered under the insurance.

We now use Dogtag, yearly a few hundred for a family of four (so will cover out winter holidsy too). Not cheap, but I dont fancy paying out for the helicopter and fancy swiss hospitals!

chrismac

Another vote for dogtag. They paid out in full with no hassle when i was taken ill on the day i was supposed to fly so couldnt go.

nasher
    Free Member

I am a MTB Holiday provider and unfortunately have had experience dealing with insurance companies.

By far the best are Dogtag and snowcard.

I would avoid what banks, easyjet etc… give you….no such thing as cheap insurance..

keefus
    Free Member

If you have a Santander Premium current account you get free travel insurance. It can be upgraded to include MTB riding anywhere in Europe for less than 10 quid. Bargain or what!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Of course under reciprocal arrangements all medical care is free across Europe.

johnners
    Free Member

Not quite –

The EHIC entitles the holder to state-provided medical treatment within the country they are visiting and the service provided will be the same as received by a person covered by the country’s ‘insured’ medical scheme

– which won’t necessarily be the same as you’d be able to get in the UK.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Not true at all. Reciprocal rights mean you get the same entitlement as a citizen of the country you’re visiting. Many countries in Europe do not have free state-funded health care.

In France, for example, the state only funds around 70% of the cost of the treatment and you are required to pay for the remainder yourself. A serious injury requiring an operation and a week in hospital could therefore still land you with a bill for 3000€+.

cheers_drive

Coincidence! I was about to post the same question. Lava Trax as well, 2nd week on January.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘holiday insurance..mtb abroad’ is closed to new replies.