Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Hit again.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

No harm done this time, except a taco’d front wheel.
    And I was in a cycle lane.
    I really can’t be arsed to go to the police. Just been to the van hire place it came from, but they’re closed.
    Surely it’s okay to wait until Monday?

The fella overtook me but then had to stop straight away at a width restriction.
    Cycles have a lane that cuts through the inside of the width restriction ie we don’t have to stop.
    I banged on his window, but he told me to f*** off and gave me two fingers before tanking off.

Then I couldn’t help notice it was a very local van hire company. Muppet

munrobiker
    Free Member

Probably need to go to the fuzz for insurance.

mboy
    Free Member

Involve the Police this time I’d say. The Van hire company will not want any troubles at all, and will readily dish out the drivers details I’d expect, and the police should do something about it.

Anyway, someone out there doesn’t like you do they! Have you run over someone’s cat, or been thieving next doors newspaper?

zbonty

Contact the police and get the muppet dealt with.

Markie
    Free Member

Accepting it’s hassle for you now, go to the police. And god luck.

druidh
    Free Member

Polis.

yossarian
    Free Member

Call the cops.

bencooper
    Free Member

He left the scene of an accident – police, definitely.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

If you don’t get the police involved you are letting not only yourself down, but all of us aswel.

Wookster

Sorry mate but reckon you need to go to the police. Glad you’re ok though.

Kit
    Free Member

If you don’t get the police involved you are letting not only yourself down, but all of us aswel.

+1

njee20
    Free Member

Fetch the POH-leece.

SaxonRider

I can’t believe that going to the police is even in question! 😯

Please do. For the sake of all of us.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Call the A-Team.

Actually no, speak to the Police.

butcher

I agree with the others. Go to the police. Hire company should help chase them down, and if caught they should be charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

It’s wrong that people feel that they can just drive off after hitting a human being with 3 tons of metal.

And I could be wrong, but I think it should be reported within 24 hours, shouldn’t it?

oldgit
    Free Member

The local police station is closed as well.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Telephone: 101.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Fetch the POH-leece

+1

where are you? there should be a main station taking calls when the local one is closed.

Part of the standard blurb when hiring a car/van is you are responsible for all road use infractions during your hire. Company will dish the details out very quickly, there may even have been some damage to the van. Did you bleed on it?

Del

^ police. leaving the scene is a serious one. could be a ban or big points IIRC, and the pillock’s got it coming. how did it happen?

oldgit
    Free Member

No physical harm at all, just the front wheel gone.

flap_jack
    Free Member

don’t you need witnesses to get the police involved ?

oldgit
    Free Member

Is it deffo 101? I can’t find any other number at all. It’s not waaaay to minor for 101 is it?

unklehomered
    Free Member

round here its 0845 6060606

hels
    Free Member

My local police station always appears closed at weekends, but I have it on excellent authority that if you lift the phone at the front door, somebody will speak to you and may even come to the house to take a statement.

maccruiskeen

Driver leaving the scene of an accident is far from too minor a case to call the cops – thats serious regardless of whether the accident itself was serious or not. I’ve known of people doing jail time for failing to stop at the scene of someone else’s accident. Call them and contact the hire co too. Not only will the hire co be more than happy to give up the drivers details but they will most likely be the ones insuring him while on hire too. He’ll have something in the region of £500 excess which he’ll have authorised up front to have hoovered out of his account when a claim is made too, so the price of a front wheel will more than easily reimbursed, but in the meantime he should be having his collar felt.

milky1980
    Free Member

101’s the non-emergency number. Can be used for anything crime-related (graffitti, noise pollution etc)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No harm done this time, except a taco’d front wheel.

Taco’d and no harm don’t go together in my book… call the police.

oldgit
    Free Member

Rang 101. It’s meant to be called in within 24 hours or as soon as possible. which is now Monday.

oldgit
    Free Member

Decades ago I hit and broke a car wing mirror while driving a box Luton. I didn’t know I’d done it, but a call from a witness was enough for me to have to pay up.
    This must be the same?

Keef
    Free Member

5.o
    book him Danno.

you owe it to yourself,and all cyclists.

oldgit
    Free Member

TBH I might just forget it and buy new wheels.

I’d much rather just punch him and be done with it.

Keef
    Free Member

well at least punch him,then take his wallet to pay for your wheels….. 😉

john_l
    Free Member

Report it – the police will be very interested in pusuing given that he’s driven away.

cynic-al
    Free Member

+l

😛

daleftw
    Free Member

If you don’t ring the police, you should be banned from here.

hmanchester
    Free Member

101 is for anything that’s not an emergency so is spot on for this. They’ll put you through to the right person at the switchboard.

RichPenny
    Free Member

🙁 Sorry to hear that, I remember well the details of your last incident. I do think you’ll be better off both reporting it to the police and ringing the hire place. That way you can be sure that you’ve done everything in your power to change the status quo. Admittedly it requires a certain amount of mental strength to not get frustrated if no action is taken, but at least you’ll have done your bit for the rest of us.

FWIW, I think ringing the hire place first thing on Monday would be a good move. If you could describe any possible damage to the vehicle that may well make them go over it more carefully. My excess on hire cars is £600 so your replacement Zipp front wheel might be in budget 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

so your replacement Zipp front wheel might be in budget

The handmade silk tubular looks like it needs replacing as well 😉

singletrackmind

Remember that picture of the 2 club riders that had been hit by a van ?
    That is the sort of driver you met with today .
    The same driver who thinks its OK to put the squeeze on cyclists , cause them to crash , and drive off .
    You owe it to all road riders to report this muppet.

oldgit
    Free Member

Good point.

Those two were my club mates.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Hit again.’ is closed to new replies.