Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • hip flexor problems – anyone else?
  • sefton
    Free Member

I suffer from tight hip flexors mainly when riding my road bike and usually my right side is worst.

obviously I stretch but I just wanted to know if anyone else has problems and what they do to ease things?

cheers
    Craig.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Stretching sorted my hip flexor problems.

Obviously getting the right set of stretches to do is pretty key – luckily I met a physio on an AQR holiday who is an endurance rider and does dynamic core assessment. Can pass on her details if you like?

sefton
    Free Member

cheers mate, I’m going to book into pedal precision in Manchester but thought I’d see what other people have done too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    smeg
    Free Member

Reckon I have but it’s only a Google diagnosis! It’s from playing footy and is the action of kicking the ball, also swinging my leg into the car hurts it as well. (right leg), could still be a groin/abductor strain that I have though, but the symptoms lined up more with Hip flexor problems.

Doesn’t seem to hurt when on the bike, but will ache after for a bit then clam down again, same with running.

I have been doing some stretches which has definitely helped a lot.

Be interested to know what stretches you’ve been doing otb ?

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Smeg – my problem was that I wasn’t using the hip flexors enough, so other things were compensating (and hurting).

So I was given a set of stretches to alleviate the symptoms, and a set of exercises to get the hip flexors working.

Its not really worth explaining the two sets in detail here. You’re far better off being assessed by someone who knows what they’re doing, and then doing the exercises that are tailored to fixing your problem.

Sefton – hope your session works for you. I’m a long way from Manchester so the physio who helped me isn’t remotely local for you!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i find the road bike is much worse for hip flexors too. If i am lazy and don’t stretch them and continue riding it starts to pull the rest of my leg funny.

regular stretching is the only solution ime.

DickieS
    Free Member

Hi Craig,

Just spotted this thread while having a coffee break and then noticed you had already mentioned my name in your post.

otb has it spot on, getting the right stretches and knowing how to execute them is the key to improving the long term flexibility of a muscle and allow it to work efficiently without the tightness causing other problems. The most common mistake people make is to not truly isolate the muscle they need to stretch and instead end up stretching nerve tissue as they pass across more joints (classic example is trying to stretch your hamstrings but just wind up your sciatic nerve instead!).

It generally just needs people to be given a bit of anatomical/biomechanical knowledge so they can really isolate the stretch to the muscle belly itself, and is often just a case of knowing some ‘cues’ in order to get into the best position to pull one end of the muscle away from the other.

Feel free to drop me a mail if you have questions on a specific stretch, otherwise if you’d like to make sure that your position on the road bike is not putting your hips at a disadvantage (often a contributory factor) then let me know and we can arrange something.

All the best,

Richard

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

just tried a foam roller and that seems pretty effective as stretching…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘hip flexor problems – anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.