Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hiking with Bike
  • dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Doing the West Highland Way this weekend and wondered if anyone had suggestions as to what the best way is to carry the bike when hiking the loch lomond side.

Was thinking of a bit of pipe insulation on the top tube and bike over my shoulder ??

Has anybody else used anything different before ?

Bike is a hardtail if that helps.

nedrapier

Sounds good. Taking a pedal off can help. More of an option if yours need an allen key rather than a big pedal spanner

robinbetts
    Free Member

Best way I’ve found is get the top tube across the back of your shoulders. Ideally resting on the top of a small rucksack/camelback if you’re using one. That way a) the weight is centralised rather than being on one shoulder, and b) a lot of the weight is actually taken on the bag, rather than directly on you shoulders, so less need for padding.
    You end up holding the saddle with one hand and one of the grips with the other.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Bike in front of you. lift over your head (chain stay/forks with either hand) so downtube is across shoulders – equally so weight is even. pipe lagginf can help for the longer climbs.

wwaswas

good instruction video here;

http://www.ehow.com/video_2361029_shoulder-cyclocross-bike-steep-run.html

says it’as for ‘cross but the principle’s the same – probably best if you’re doign a combination of hike/bike rather than a day carrying when removing wheels and bungying onto a rucksack might be better.

scruff
    Free Member

I learned the hard way in the Alps at mild altitude, wasnt fun at all, as Freeride nick says down tube across shoulder is the best way unless you have proper light bike.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Get the boat to the other side (Inverarnan?) and avoid the bit of the WHW north of Rowardennan.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If it’s a distance, then I’d probably take the wheels off and strap them to my rucksack, then do with the frame what freeridenick says.

Gnnr

+1 For the boat, just check sailing times as its seasonal.
    I got caught out when I did it many moons ago.

freeridenick
    Free Member

I actually don’t mind it and can cover distance quite rapidly, and is less tiring than pushing your bike through stuff i find.

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Dont want to get the boat as it takes a bit of the acievement out, in the past i just pushed my bike at this bit but was a bit of a pain in the arse just looking for ideas on best way to carry the bike.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Its not that bad to have to dismantle the bike. I’ve carried my bike up Ben Nevis twice.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hiking with Bike’ is closed to new replies.