Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Highland Fling
  • fergal
    Free Member

Will be up in the Cairngorms at half term, any suggestions for a big day out, toying with the idea of Ben Macdhui or Braeriach, unless i can be convinced otherwise, the latter will be a real shot in the dark, but who knows i may well find Eldorado.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Carn Ban Mor plus the various bits of Glen feshie singletrack

winstonsmith

ben alder circuit? that’s quite a big day out

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The two guys to speak to are either David or Phil at Bothy Bikes who know everything there is to ride around there.

Braeriach from what I remember would not be great – very steep eroded and rubbly.

From personal experience
    Ben Macdui from Loch Morlich – OK but a bit too much hike a bike
    Cairngorm from Loch Morlich – excellent. You need to include the path over into Corrie an Snechta (which I didn’t have time for) plus the singletrack from the lower car park at the ski centre back down to the loch.
    Carn Ban Mor is also a good call but not as big as the above. Next time I want to go on to Sgurr Gaoith and find a way down from there

Edit – you need to enjoy jumping water bars if you do Cairngorm or Ben Macdui

fergal
    Free Member

Captain have you ridden Braeriach, thinking of Loch Einich up the back then down to the Lairig, some one on here awhile back rated the descent.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

fergal, no I haven’t ridden it – I walked it from the Lairig Ghru side about 3 years ago. IIRC from comments on past threads, the area from above Loch Einich to Braeriach is a bit of a bogfest.

Try the Bothy Bikes guys or Sanny off here. They will be able to give you some good steers

cynic-al
    Free Member

The descent from Macdhui is meant to be one of the best.

Not sure which descent though.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

cynic-al, that’ll be the one heading down to Loch Etchachan and Glen Derry. On my list to do, but it’s a long way back from Glen Derry

fergal
    Free Member

Braeriach would be a real gamble i reckon, walked it myself from the Lairig ghru and have zero recollection of the path.

For a wee blast i know Meall a Bhuchaille is meant to be good, which way is best down any ideas, Ryvoan or new path to visitor center?

fergal
    Free Member

Captain beat me to it, Coire Etchachan, its got to be on the cards.

Sanny
    Free Member

Braeriach – now you’re talking. I rode it a couple of weeks ago. A grand day out but with a couple of caveats. The steep path at the head of Glen Einich is a wee bit exposed. There was the remnants of a snow field that I had to cross near the head of the Glen just before the path tops out. I ended up doing some scrambling above the snow with my bike above my head. Got halfway across and started reflecting on how I managed to get myself into this predicament. Quickly opted for the jam myself between the slope and the snow which had come away from the slope approach. Post holed the bars and pedals into the snow slope which helped with the slightly traumatic progress. Took me the best part of half an hour to get past it and more than a moment of proper fear. After that, there is no track as such up to the summit but thereafter there is a clear and easy to follow track down to the Lairig Ghru path. I’d reserve it for a really nice day and avoid the snow field next time.

The descent is rocky and loose with a couple of short bouldery sections to carry down. I enjoyed it although it isn’t quite the best descent in the area. Still a grand day out though like I said at the start. An alternative would be to do a circuit that took in Cairngorm summit then followed the path round in a circular fashion and brought you back to the ski centre going beneath Coire an Lochan and Sneachta (spelling could be wrong!) You could then descend Coire Cas path or head towards the Chalmain Gap (be warned, it becomes a boulder field that is a pain to walk let alone carry a bike over)before taking in the best bit of the Lairig Ghru.

For less carrying, I would go for the Carn Ban Mor option but would ride up what is normally the descent (bit of portage towards the top but nothing too long nor difficult) then head across the tops to Sgor Gaoth – rode it in thick cloud and rain. Planning a return trip in the sunshine. It would make for a mint out and back.

For Mealle a Buchaille, I rode that as a dawn ride with my friend Paul who hails from Aviemore. We did the descent down to Ryvoan. I binned it on the steepest stone pitched section which puzzled me until I realised later in the day when I saw the pics that I’d lost pressure in my forks. Doh! Always check your kit!

I also really like the short blast up and down Craigellachie – ride and carry up then ride down. Just be mindful of walkers and there are a few rocky bits it would hurt if you binned it but nothing daft.

The path descent off the Burma Road from the cairn is also rather special.

Hope this helps?

For MacDui, check out issue 63. A great day out but be mindful of the fact that you end up a long way from anywhere at points.

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

PS Braeriach isn’t a bogfest from the head of Glen Einich. My feet were dry the whole time although my shoes did fall apart on the ride but that’s another story.

PPS Hope you get the weather I got at Easter. It was STUNNING! I ended up going out regularly at 6 in the morning to catch the early morning sun and deserted trails. There is something nice about heading down the Lairig Ghru early doors to get back in time for breakfast.

fergal
    Free Member

Thanks for that Sanny, epic aside are you really saying the descent of Braeriach is not really up to much in all honesty, i enjoyed the descent on Carn Ban mor, but not sure a rubble fest would fit the bill after a big carry.

Sanny
    Free Member

I thoroughly enjoyed the descent but if you don’t like loose and challenging, you may not enjoy it. There is better stuff in the area for less effort in my opinion but I wouldn’t say no, don’t do it. I reckon the Cairngorm and Sgor Gaoth options are just as rewarding for less effort albeit less techy.

italspark
    Free Member

i left a full bottle of eldorado next to the cairn on macdui at easter, your welcome to a drink,…………as with all cairngorm riding have a plan b and c as the weather can change in the blink of an eye. enjoy
    and dont go before you read this …http://www.mwis.org.uk/index.php

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Highland Fling’ is closed to new replies.