Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • High Street Lite – mountains for beginners (pics)
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member
    guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Lovely pics there sfb. Looks like a cracking ride too.
    Are you using a tripod for those panoramics or do you have a super-sturdy technique you’d like to share? And are you still using a Nikon D?? witht the 18-200?
    Questions, questions…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I never use a tripod, too much faff. I use PTGUI for panoramas, and it compensates for camera misalignment automatically, just as well as I’m often out of breath and unable to hold steady 🙂 Hugin (free) will also do this. Yes I’m using my D300 with 18-200mm Nikkor

I’d been wanting to do High St for the last 5 weeks, but had had to pick another venue each time due to poor weather, but it was clear blue skies in Lancaster on Saturday – though as you can see that didn’t last 🙁

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

PTGUI looks good. Much cheaper than a wide-angle lens too. Have you tried both PTGUI and Hugin? Just wondering how they compare for basic stitching together of images.

Spending some time in the lakes in August, sadly without a bike. But I’m looking forward to it none-the-less. Was trying to decide whether to bother taking the D50 or not but maybe now I will.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

PTGUI is slicker and more flexible but costs about £60. Hugin is free but fiddly to set up, and some of the tools are less good. They both use the same underlying public domain software. There are other programs like Autostitch but I didn’t get on with them, or the output was worse.

NOT take a camera ?? Madness! I take mine with me when I go shopping – you never know :o)

woodsman
    Free Member

Great pics as usual.

Most Women do have an unusual, almost child-like posture when riding bikes, is my observation………………….

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

NOT take a camera ?? Madness! I take mine with me when I go shopping – you never know :o)

I know, I know. I must’ve been crazy to even consider not taking it. Was thinking of taking the compact instead but that just gets on my nerves through its lack of functionality. Going to investigate getting a pouch I can mount on my chest for easier access. Also going to limit myself to just 1 lens (18-55) as I know how much my girlfriend gets annoyed at me for taking ages to swap things over (don’t yet have the funds for one of them 18-200s).

Thanks for the opinions on those programs. I’ll give them a go with some images of York Minster. It’s pretty big and difficult to fit on one frame – ideal for photo stitching software.

elliptic
    Free Member

You were up there on Saturday? We were out as well doing the full length Troutbeck-to-Loadpot version… what time were you at the Beacon? Can’t have missed you by much. Somehow we dodged the showers and caught the sunshine – at the end we got back to Brotherswater thirty seconds before it chucked down 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what time were you at the Beacon?

3pm – you’ll have passed high above us while we were crawling up from Hartsop. I don’t envy you climbing Kirkstone from Brotherswater – steep and plagued with cars 🙁 Interesting that you missed the rain and had sun – as you can see we had little sunshine.

elliptic
    Free Member

Yep, belatedly spotted the photo timestamps, we were there around midday. We were staying at Sykeside & went up the Kirkstone at 9am so the traffic was still light. Actually it made a change doing it first off – when I used to live in Ambleside it was the sting in the tail to get home!

Glad to find the slices of ginger cake at Side Farm cafe are still the size of paving slabs 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Love those pics. It’s inspired me to take my camera out and try those two programs out – never used a stitching app before.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Well, people often slag High Street off, particularly the ridge to Loadpot Hill, but it’s really a glorious place to get to, provided you can actually SEE and are not stuck inside a cloud 🙂

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Hi,

Nice pictures. Some advice please, any recommendation as to best direction to ride the ‘full’ length. North -> South?? I note the boggies routes seem to do northerly section northwards and southerly section southwards..?
    Many thanks
    Paul

elliptic
    Free Member

For the full-length version I always go northwards – much better value overall.

The other way, going up Loadpot and then south to High Street would be a long grind. Dropping off Thornthwaite Beacon into Troutbeck is a fun descent but I’d rather push/carry up it for 45 minutes then get the full benefit for the next few hours.

Also, you wouldn’t want to miss the fast descent from Arthur’s Pike towards The Cockpit and then doubling back down to Howtown – it’s one of the best bits of the long ride.

GPS trace here if you’re interested.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

IMO do the ridge northwards! But I don’t like the push/carry up the Rake from Troutbeck and prefer to climb up from Hartsop. But there are no definitive answers – try all the options and see what you like best :o)

You can also do Loadpott as a circuit from Pooley Bridge…

Shack
    Free Member

Definately Northwards. Personally hate the climb from Hayeswater up to the Knott. Much prefer the trip up the rake, never actually seen anyone else on it the times I’ve done it so dont have to suffer withering looks from walkers as I drag my bike up! As usual great pictures, always inspire me to get off my backside and do something.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Many thanks all. Northwards it is then. Probably start and finish in Troutbeck, leaves the road work for when I’m tired.
    Cheers
    Paul

elliptic
    Free Member

Our group above Hayeswater (me on the left):

SFB and the bogtrotters are somewhere in the background, coming up!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Probably start and finish in Troutbeck

I would advise advise Hartsop. Free parking and you get the ghastly climb up Kirkstone done while fresh! Note there is a little used BW down to Ing Bridge which cuts the corner to The Rake

lowey

How dare you suggest I would consider the highly cheeky Ill Bell path. Thats libelous. 😆

Oh, and I’ll be enjoying myself whooping down this on Sunday.

Pook
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

How dare you suggest I would consider the highly cheeky Ill Bell path. Thats libelous.

out of the mouths of babes and innocents – or Mr. D. Lowe of Chorley in this case… [grass alert]

lowey

How double dare you. I have far more taste than to slum it in Chorley. I’m from Gods own wonderland… the tropical oasis of Bolton

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the tropical oasis of Bolton

I thought you was posher, after all, the Chorleyites ent nicked that solid gold statue off of the Mormon church yet – how long would it have lasted in Bolton ?

[legal disclaimer: that was not a suggestion]

Pook

sorry simon – meant to say, ace pics as always

meeeee
    Free Member

Lowey – whats that path in the photo with all the hairpins? How rocky is it?

SammySammSamm
    Free Member

OhhOhh I recognise those hills!

Taken from above whassnamethingywiththedam, at the top of that middle little passything halfway up the whassname! Glorious day a couple weeks back 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Nan Boiled.

Lowey – whats that path in the photo with all the hairpins? How rocky is it?

that’s Gatescarth! v. rocky, quite scary but in a fun way

and:

Junkyard
    Free Member

we would not have Lowey in Chorley ……Mormons are one thing morons another thing altogether

SammySammSamm
    Free Member

Indeed it is, didn’t get any shots of the descent down Gatescarth, echo the rocky scary sentiments though! Got a pinchflat half way down too 🙁
    – Looks like I did the same ride as that one just there! I’m sure it took me hours longer though.

lowey

that’s Gatescarth! v. rocky, quite scary but in a fun way

Yep, highlight of the Nan Bield route IMO… cant wait.

Johnnie…. very funny

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and here’s the lowlight:

“mostly rideable” my arse!

SammySammSamm
    Free Member

Aye, the ascent up past Small Water is a complete arse. Ended up at the bottom of it at 5.30pm, with the sun dissapearing behind the summit, had to chase the shadow up the whole way!
    A “view” back from the top (I was never the photographer):

Excuse the bike in the way

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Does anyone have a good reason why I shouldnt move to the Lakes? Been thinking about moving to Keswick for a while, pictures like this seem to make it an easy decision. I spend every New Year there, riding and hoping to go some winter climbing routes one day. Usually manage a summer trip too.

Guess work is tough to find, but good riding and LBSs arent.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Does anyone have a good reason why I shouldnt move to the Lakes?

1) most of the population are sheep
    2) you’ll become insufferably smug
    3) it rains most of the time
    4) barring one poet every century it is a cultural wasteland
    5) the shops only sell outdoor gear
    6) this will be the ‘road’ to your house:

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks Simon, guess you’re the guy to ask. Fine with sheep and rain (I live in Bristol and close to Wales, so both are common).

I think I can deal with 4 and 5, and fully expect to become intolerably smug if I were to move.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

seriously, I’d not choose to live IN the Lakes, Kendal or Penrith (or Lancaster, where I am) would be near enough, unless you fancy the rural idyll ?

JxL
    Free Member

Looks like a carbon/rigid singlespeed will suite this ride nicely.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i will bring the body bag

wors

Dave you are a ****!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘High Street Lite – mountains for beginners (pics)’ is closed to new replies.