Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • high salt content… why ?
  • Keva
    Free Member

Just eaten a Tescos salmon and cheese sandwhich. Bit into it and thought crikey there's a lot of salt in that it tastes flippin' horrible… looked at the packet and it says 2.5g 42% daily recommended.

Why is there that much salt in one sandwhich packet and what is the reason for it ? didn't enjoy it, im now very thirsty but at least I'm not hungry. Water is on tap.

Kev

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Odd isnt it. Lots of 'contents' lists on food are as bad. I cant see the need, other than maybe its cheap flavouring and a preservative so they can keep it hanging around on the shelves longer. Its almost impossible to escape garlic as well, in any Marks and Spencers food. Its in the most bizarre food packs.

beej

Cheese has (cue random google) 620mg sodium per 100g (so salt is more, being NaCl).
    Salmon isn't too bad, 64mg/100g.
    Crap bread has too much salt in.
    Butter often has salt in.

Plus salt added as seasoning.

The less salt you eat, the more you notice it I find.

Have a nice plain jacket potato instead. Canteen at Emerald does those, I think!

FuzzyWuzzy

I'd rather risk a higher than recommended salt intake than eat a plain jacket potato…

Keva
    Free Member

beej, on a training course in Wokingham. The food here is pretty bad and not much of it so I go to Tescos for something extra. The sandwhiches in the canteen at Emerald aren't quite as bad as at Tescos I've just discovered. I usually eat a fairly low salt/ sugar diet so I do notice it… I'll be bringing my own food tomorrow…

Kev

molgrips
    Free Member

What do jacket potatoes need to make them yummy? Salt! 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Or cheese and chilli and beans and butter.

Del

salt's usually used to make 5hit ingredients add up to something more than the sum of their parts, non?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Jacket potato with salt? Never, ever considered salting a potato.

Now hard boiled eggs are a different matter…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Maybe they're using the salt as a preservative on the salmon?!

Flaperon

Don't use salt on anything when I'm cooking. Never been a problem for me. Can't stand it when I eat something salty, as beej said, the less salt you eat the more you notice it in other food.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘high salt content… why ?’ is closed to new replies.