• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IA.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • High quality VFM chain whip ?
  • scruff
    Free Member

Mines bent after struggling with a mates cassette last night and the chain looks like its going. Who makes a good one at reasonable cost or it the normal choice of picking blue or yellow ?

IHN

I got mine from Halfords, it’s been smashing and it’s tough as old boots.

stumpy01

I’ve got a Fat Spanner one and it hasn’t broken yet (not that I’ve used it much)…..seems good enough though.

zbonty

You bent a chain-whip? Thats going some, unless it was old/cheese like.

How about making one. Get a piece of metal, drill three holes and attach some old chain, or spare bits of new chains you have left over. Inner tube for a handle. Sorted.

Or buy one. How much are they?

scruff
    Free Member

Bent it last night stripping a mates Pro2 which was presumably installed by a gorilla. Ended up using an 18inch adjustable, lump hammer and knuckle skin along with standard tools.

I’ve made one before but I get giddy for nice tools.

MSP

I have broken a few chain whips in my time.

Now use one of these, stronger and cheaper-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_209641_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

jota180
    Free Member

The best chain whip I’ve used [still do] is nothing more than a piece of 2×2 timber with an old bit of chain nailed to one end

Chain wraps around the cassette and the cassette digs into the timber

was
    Free Member

I use a pound shop filter wrench. If you want quality then go for a Park tools one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

After destroying a few i bought the 20 quid park one – well worrth it – no more stuck cassettes ever

IA

I’ve an old steel flat bar, with an old chain through it and knotted at one end so it doesn’t slip.

Looks like i’m tooling up for road rash, but plenty leverage and works well. Also price = free.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘High quality VFM chain whip ?’ is closed to new replies.