Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • High memory usage??
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I keep getting notification of high memory usage (291mb) caused by Firefox.
    Can anyone tell me what this means in idiotspeak? And if it is a problem, how to cure/rectify?

Many thanks from a computer idiot.

geoffj

It sounds a little too much, but not ridiculous.

Have a look here – http://www.technipages.com/why-firefox-takes-up-too-much-memory.html

and here – http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/High%20memory%20usage

Aren’t all the smart kids using Chrome now (I’m not)?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I get the same regardless of browser used (FF, Chrome, Safari). Chrome causes hangs. All use inordinate amounts of memory, more than when I’m doing Photoshops or video and stuff.

I think it’s cos of the increasing amount of infomation that is stored in the cache, all that Flash and video and stuffs. I dunno though I’m sure someone clever a geek will be along shortly to explain it all…

jonk

Firefox has some memory leak issues mine used to get up to about 600mb so i started using chrome and its much better at releasing memory once it has used it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Aren’t all the smart kids using Chrome now (I’m not)?

I’ve found Chrome particularly bad when using sites that use Flash, such as YouTube and them.

Tried Chrome for a bit, but after several unexplained hangs and other problems (eating RAM), I’ve given up on it and gone back to Safari. Not had any issues since.

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s actually giving you the message?

maccruiskeen

Flash is often the culprit – often poorly made ads. A few years back there was a CRC one on here that would make your browser go mental – you could hear when it was on the screen. Use a plugin that switches flash off and see what difference it makes.

GrahamS

Firefox has some memory leak issues mine used to get up to about 600mb so i started using chrome and its much better at releasing memory once it has used it.

Chrome is generally worse at memory than Firefox these days.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/09/browser-speed-tests-firefox-7-chrome-14-internet-explorer-9-and-more/

GrahamS

Also, you probably need some more memory in your PC.

291MB is chuff all these days, I can only assume it is complaining because you only have something like 1GB total memory.

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, I don’t run that may add-ons and have just added Flash blocker to complement the other blocking add-on I have. Disabling the add-ons doesn’t really affect anything.
    Assume away GrahamS. the marketing spiel says 2GB DDR3, whatever that means. 😛
    It’s a little pop up, Molly, that tells me the usage and recommends that I close down Firefox and then re-open, it’s just something I’ve never seen before and while I’m no geek I do like knowing a little about what’s happening.
    Cheers for the links geoffj.

Just having the Google search page open would appear to ram it up by 50mb!!

GrahamS

Hmmm.. 2Gb is still quite low but should be okay, provided you’re not running tons of other memory hungry stuff.

Is the pop-up actually from Windows or from Firefox?
    What versions of Firefox and Windows?

donsimon
    Free Member

2Gb is still quite low but should be okay

😥
    Not sure where the pop-up is from, maybe assume Windows.
    Firefox 7.01 and Windows7.

Cougar

Reboot.

Start Firefox safe mode (hold Shift after clicking the icon). Does it still do it?

Install the latest versions of Flash, Shockwave, Java.

Can you take a screenshot of the pop-up?

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve done the safemode stuff that geoffj linked to and yes it still has a reading of anything between 230 and 280.
    I’ll try and get a screen shot.

GrahamS

You can also type about:memory into the Firefox address bar and it will give you a breakdown of memory usage. “resident” is the most important one. Mine is currently sitting at 358MB with 9 tabs open.

donsimon
    Free Member

Screen shot, and as you can see it’s from AVG…

BoardinBob

I’m getting the same with AVG. Firefox 8 & Windows 7. Pop up appears and says I’m using circa 500mb of memory with Firefox. No system issues though, and no other bits of software (music/ video editing) seem to create the same popups.

Cougar

Yeah, that’s your problem right there. It’s going “hey, look at me, look how clever I am, think how much trouble you’d be in if I weren’t here!!” I’d uninstall it and stick MSE on instead, TBH.

AVG used to be great. It’s a big bag of billy bobbins these days, sadly.

GrahamS

Cougar +1

MSE or Avast! FTW.

donsimon
    Free Member

Avast used to slow things down waaaay too much, so unless things have changed that’s a no-no.
    I’ve just installed MSE to see how that goes.

Thanks one and all. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘High memory usage??’ is closed to new replies.