Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • High grade steel bolts…
  • lyons
    Free Member

I'm after a m10 and m14 mm bolt… In as high a grade as possible. Ringing round local suppliers the highest grade I can find is 8.8. I could get higher but would have to buy in bulk.

Is 8.8 strong? I'll be using it to replace the ti bolts on my wheel axles for the bmx, as I'm swapping to pegs…

Or can anyone sell me 2 higher grade bolts?

wwaswas

try ringing http://www.namrick.co.uk/ they pretty clued up/carry a lot of stock.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

M10 8.8 is standard high tensile grade. Pretty tough in other words. You *might* break it, but unlikely I'd have thought. M14, you just won't break – or if you do, you'll have broken yourself so badly that the bolt will be very far down the list of priorities.

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes, 8.8 is very strong.

you really don't need more.

M14!? – what do you want to hang off it? – Sweden?!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I found this link helped me a bit on bolts, and stainless in particular

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/basics.htm

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bolt's?

Nuts on axels surely?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Are really really you sure you want the highest grade?
    With strength comes loss of ductility which may have a greater bearing on the ultimate load the bolts subjected to and whether it just snaps or deforms a bit.

lyons
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments, I need bolts as both my front and rear axles are female, The front is definitely 10, the rear might actually be a a bit smaller than 14, now i think about it, M12 maybe. I'm going to go and pick up some 8.8 one in an hour or so, after looking around i'm sure they will be strong enough…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Where I used to work constructed power transformers and most of the structural stuff was bolted together with 8.8 grade nuts and bolts. This included the nuclear blast (sorry very short term earthquake) resistant models we built for Faslane.

oh and +1 for namrick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘High grade steel bolts…’ is closed to new replies.