Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Hifi question
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

I’m looking for a ‘classic’ Brit amp and have come across a Rogers amp which was produced as they went out of business late nineties/early naughties. I know they made studio kit, but anybody know what their consumer stuff was like? Any suggestions about other kit to look for? Budget is around £300, would be driving Ruark monitors….
    Still interested in your stuff, woody 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wouldn’t buy anything other than DNM.

Hohum
    Free Member

Slightly over your budget but how about an Audiolab amplifier like the 8000S?

Here is one on ebay:

8000S

I used to have one and it sounded lovely with my Castle Severn speakers.

TiRed

You want to look for a Music Fidelity A1. Preferably serviced with replaced capacitors – they dry out due to the heat generated running Class A.

If that sparks your interest, you probably ride SS and have a beard – I do 8)

epicsteve
    Free Member

Audiolab 8000A or 8000S
    Quad 33/303
    Cyrus Audio
    One of the bigger Arcam Alpha’s
    One of the KI Signature Marantz’s
    Naim Nait
    Naim 32.5/110

CountZero

I was going to suggest Quad, real classic Brit amps those.

mountainlight
    Free Member

+1 on Musical Fidelity A1.

Using one now, through a pair of Ruark floor standers. Changed my perception of the speakers so much I ended up buying 3 (just in case). In attic awaiting capacitor and pot replacement. Hope they are one of the few pieces of eBay tat that will be worth something when my kids clear my house in 30 years time.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Thanks…..
    Nothing on Rogers??

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t remember Rogers being known for amps.

I’d listen only to those who have used what they are recommending…quite a few gash magazine hype numbers up there!

GJP
    Free Member

Naim NAITs go for silly money these days, if we are talking NAIT 1 and NAIT 2s. The Nait 3’s could easily be had within your budget but they do not carry the same “cache”

If you were going down the NAIM route you may be better off with a Chrome Bumper NAIM NAC 42 or 42.5 and either a CB 110 or 140. Not sure your budget would stretch to a 32.5 plus suitable power amp.

Otherwise an Olive NAC 62 with an half boxed size NAP 90 power amp.

If you are interested in the CB NAIM amps I have a pristine NAC 42.5 pre-amp for sale. This model, unlike the 42, can be upgraded with a suitable power supply in due course if you desired.

Yes I am a NAIM fan!

Hohum
    Free Member

GJP – Member

Yes I am a NAIM fan!

You don’t say!

😆

timber

Dad managed to rescue a Quad 33 & 303 set-up from a skip, God knows who put them there.

Just as shockingly, they are just hooked up to some average book-shelf speakers to play his mp3 player in the study.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Where can I find the skip?!?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I got an Audiolab 8000S and Audiolab 8000P for £420 off Ebay a few years back.. 8000S can be integrated or set as a Pre amp. 8000P is a power amp. Both pre TAG take-over, so good.

Set up as Pre & Power amps its great with my AVI speakers. 😀

timber

og08 – he couldn’t quite believe it, contractor was gutting the room to install a somewhat inferior shiny new system and had no idea of the value of a couple of dirty beige boxes

Hohum
    Free Member

coolhandluke – Member
    I got an Audiolab 8000S and Audiolab 8000P for £420 off Ebay a few years back.. 8000S can be integrated or set as a Pre amp. 8000P is a power amp. Both pre TAG take-over, so good.

Set up as Pre & Power amps its great with my AVI speakers.

I bought an 8000S first and then added a TAG 60P and bi-amped my speakers. Have you tried your S+P in bi-amp mode as well?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Yes I am a NAIM fan!

Me too – currently listening to some Springsteen from an LP12 via 32.5/SNAPS/140/Credos.

Nait 3 would be a great choice for the OP if in budget.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve heard an 8000S and 8000P used to bi-amp a set of Castle Howards – sound very good indeed.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Classic Meridian amps also sound superb and can be picked up for about that budget. Well worth a look.

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive got a cyrus 1 amp still one of the best bits of kit ive had

igm

Cyrus here – the next audio upgrade I need is to change the room, sort out hard surfaces etc. The amp is great.

ericemel
    Free Member

Naim everytime for me

jim_bob

+1 for Audiolab 8000s. Listening to mine right now. Nice clean sound, I have seen one used as a cheapskate reference amplifier by people developing in-car audio.

Hadge
    Free Member

I think you’ve had all the best suggestions so far (Audiolab 8000/Naim Nait) but be aware that older models will have possible hidden problems. Audiolabs suffered from connection issues – Musical Fidelity have serious reliability problems and Naim Naits are expensive and could require a service making them even more out of your budget. If your using vinyl then the Nait is a stunning choice even considering it’s lowly power output so I’d say go for a CB 42/110 combo which is upgradeable and will sound good with vinyl and digital inputs.
    Quad 33/303 is a uch softer sound than those above and so has less “punch” but still delivers a very nice smooth sound. I started with the 33/303 but moved onto Naim amps which I still do today with NAC252/Supercap/NAP300 combo

CountZero

Audiolabs suffered from connection issues

Early ones used two-pin DIN sockets, which are truly shonky, but I have a feeling that they were changed later on.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Hifi question’ is closed to new replies.