Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hiding yourself on e-mail
  • faint
    Free Member

Woman at work has been receiving e-mails from someone who wants to remain anonimous, unless she clicks a link and replies.
    Thing is, although she receives them at work they are not addressed using her normal e-mail address and they are getting through the works security.
    Is there any investigative work that she/we can we carry out.
    senders e-mail is form verizon.net and is sent to her ….@nu.com

thanks

wwaswas

are you trying to block them or find out who sent them?

jota180
    Free Member

Why doesn’t she just set a rule to delete them as they come in?

DM52
    Free Member

Her work email address most probably has been bcc’d.

The nature of bcc means that they is little to no information regarding the sender kept in the message headers.

HolmwoodDave
    Free Member

she is BCC’d in the email….. spammers are cunning cos they can hide that field aswell!
    If you look at the email properties then you should/might be able to retrieve the actual From address.
    Assuming you use an ISP or have some form of spam filtering then just block the email at that level. Alternatively just send all the email from that user to Junk/Spam folder using a rule…..

faint
    Free Member

She’s inquisitive, but wont admit it.EDIT I think she would like to know
    I do not understand these things but it sounds like someone is making an effort to hide themselves. If I sent an e-card to my missus I just would not sign it to keep myself anomimous (but that just shows how technical I am).
    This person has come through some site that when you go to reply a load of chat/p@rn comes up as well as the e-card site (forgotten name) dosen’t seem the way to attract someone.
    Is she searching for a tech bod or is this something a simpleton like me could do.

wwaswas

if someone doesn’t want you to find them via an email then you won’t unless you get a court order (and possibly not even then).

jota180
    Free Member

Tell her to report it now at work

If they start going through her logs for some reason, it’s going to look bad

allthepies
    Free Member

If it’s via an email anonymiser site then the only way she’ll find out is to get the police involved. Obviously this isn’t a valid option if the Email is benign and she’s just curious.

faint
    Free Member

Already told her to go to IT Department. She/I obviously assume that this person must know her and that’s why she’s curious.
    She likes the attention but dosen’t want to take the plunge in case she gets “stalked” (wouldn’t be the first time) if it’s someone she dosen’t like.
    What would happen if she replied to the sent e-mail address ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hiding yourself on e-mail’ is closed to new replies.