Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 'HGV' Derv pumps at smaller filling stations .
  • singletrackmind

Hi ,
    Does anyone know for sure if the derv that comes out of the high speed diesel pumps is any different ?

I was told by a forcourt cashier that ” It all come in the same delivery , Its just a faster pump” . However , after filling up from the HGV pump , and causing our works Sprinter to turn ito a smoke machine that Pat Bennatar ( ask your dad ) would have been proud of ., The local garage monkey now says its different and not filtered as much .

I hoped it had just stirred up some crud from the bottom of the tank. It would appear not, because after 200 + miles its still stinks of unburnt fuel ,and oil mixed in , plus does bleeding great chuffers when given a bootfull.

And yes we wanged a bottle of redex injector cleaner in , although aparently Forte is the stuff to use .

I am now thinking it might be turbo shaft seals , and its a coincidence that i filled up at the HGV pump. hhhmmm

maccruiskeen

‘D.E.R.V’ is the vehicle, not the fuel ‘Diesel Engined Road Vehicle’

The fuel is the same, it just gets served through a fatter nozzle for trucks. And in the same way trucks will fill up with the regular pumps if they don’t have other options. I used to do a lot of road work with merc lutons and would fill up with either pump depending on what stations would take our fuel card or served the most outrageous breakfasts

Drac

It’s exactly the same stuff and filled dozens of Sprinters with it doing 2k miles per week not one problem.

muddy@rseguy

it should be exactly the same (all diesel is refined to a minimum standard) To be honest the van could simply have been a bit caned and be a bit overdue for a service/tlc so may be burning oil, check the oil level in the engine…

Turbo seals failing equals lots of lovely white smoke (is it particularly foggy in your rear view mirror? does everyone following have their lights on? :-)) and a major loss of power.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It’s the same stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

The fuel is the same, it just gets served through a fatter nozzle for trucks.

A fatter nozzle which doesn’t fit in my normal car’s filler hole…. causing great embarrassment when you’ve just leapt across the forecourt to an empty pump and are feeling smug. You can just about get it to work so that you can save face mind.

Car was fine too.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Same stuff. My car ran on it for the best part of three years.

Lorry drivers perks. 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I worked in the oil distribution business for 12 years, 2 years as an oil rep selling DERV/diesel/Gas Oil/red diesel/pink diesel to farmers, haulage companies, petrol stations etc. AFAIC it’s all the same product. There are some additives involved in each sector, but a diesel vehicle should run happily on whatever permutation of DERV/diesel/gas oil and/or additive.

I have read stuff on the internet about a certain supermarkets fuel causing problems, but I think that might have been Petrol and internet gossip and all that. Distributors source the fuel from home and abroad and transport it accordingly, ships, barges, tankers.

A lot of transport companies have got a bulk tank in the yard. They’ll run the trucks and service van on the same stuff.

PePPeR

It’s one thing that pees me off about my Renault Master, it can’t accept the large Lorry fuel nozzle like my old Sprinter could! 😉

Takes twice as long to fill up especially as its got a 100Lt tank rather than a 75lt.

Bonus is I go far further between fill ups, 28mpg Renault 21.5 Sprinter

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

To add to my post, I guess there might be the very remote possibility of a contamination along the supply chain somewhere, but then it would affect every vehicle who drew from that source, not just you.

pennine
    Free Member

A lot of transport companies have got a bulk tank in the yard

We have two.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I owned a petrol station (no bombers though) for 23 years & sold petrol & diesel, which is D.E.R.V.
    Same stuff. (Petrol has an octane rating, diesel has a cetane rating)

But!…did you know that if you manage to take out the dye in red diesel, customs can still tell if It’s been red?
    Go on, ask how.

PePPeR

probably by its cetane rating Or a UV or chemical signature?

😉

Ahh all the ideas about fullers earth! I can imagine my local supermarket being stripped of Kitty litter.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

The DERV nozzles simply deliver the fuel at a faster rate, could you imagine standing waiting for 250 gallons of diesel to fill up at the same rate as a car?!

bigbloke
    Free Member

essell….by a chemical marker?

closeactionchris
    Free Member

Ran a Pajero for 2 years on pure cooking oil from ASDA, until the price went up. It ran and smelt lovely too.
    Now I run a superchipped 270bhp Volvo D5 on normal diesel, but my American friend fills it up for me on his fuel card at about $1.00 a litre, which is nice.
    Gets the equivalent of 75mpg now. Which is also nice.
    What we all need is an American friend who gets cheap diesel on the Status Of Forces Agreement.

PePPeR

On the cooking oil note above, has anyone noticed how the price of cooking oil in supermarkets is now exactly the same price as the DERV at the pump?

Tis V strange that! 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

essel, it’s a long time ago, 1986, but I used to buy barges of the base fuel from Rotterdam delivered into Hull, some would become road diesel, some dyed for tractor diesel as it passed thru customs. Surely you aren’t going to claim they are different products?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Same stuff! A rep for Phillips Petroleum told me that red diesel had, er.. red dye in it but road stuff had a neutral dye in it which showed up under a spectrometer (?)
    I reckon bigbloke is close with that one then.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘'HGV' Derv pumps at smaller filling stations .’ is closed to new replies.