Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • hey you chilli plant gurus
  • maxray
    Free Member

So, I have around 30 plants around 3″ tall, is it ok to plant 5 to a pot or do they have to be seperate? Figured a few to a pot would give a better bush look?

CaptJon
    Free Member

which variety? how big a pot?

i grew some chillis from seed to 5 foot tall a few years back.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Interesting. I love chillies but have never considered growing them. What conditions do they require and any variety that is recommended as easier to grow over others? I’m a big fan of habanero chillies.

petrieboy

I went 4 to a pot last year (morrisons sell their used cut flower buckets for next to nothing) and had a bumper harvest.

transapp
    Free Member

One thing u can say us that a north facing decking is a rubbish place to put them. 50+ plants, could have had 3 to 4 thousand chillies. I got 1 (as in a single, solitary bloody one) and it wasn’t even hot!
    This is why I don’t offer how to advice!

z1ppy

I’m no expert, but have managed to produce a very reasonable harvest over the last couple of years without trying hard. They go in our green house along with the tomatoes, are planted in medium size pots & simply watered regularly along with the tomatoes. Really no special treatment at all, & yet we have loads of chilli’s.

Ala

maxray
    Free Member

Nice one zippy. I had one like that a couple of years ago but last year was ruined by aphids. 🙁 this year Im a man on a mission! 🙂

lump

Total gutted about mine, some 40 seeds went in about 8 weeks ago. and not one has germinated this year 😥 And you will need to separate them all off into there own pots if you want the best results.

rusty90
    Free Member

Best way I’ve found to germinate them is a clear plastic container (like tupperware), few layers of tissue on the bottom and moisten with water and place the seeds individually laying on the tissue. Put lid on, place on sunny window sill then plant them on into individual pots when they’ve sprouted (when a bit of green is showing).

This year I’m growing :
    Cayenna
    Joe’s Long
    Padron
    Jalapeno
    Feugo Ibrido

You can pick them from the plant when ready then put them in the freezer for curries etc, or take the whole plant and hang upside down to dry and then save whole or grind into powder.

Still time enough to get started, chilli lovers.

z1ppy

Maxray you sound to have a great start, admittedly I didn’t plant mine till late, but mine are only just starting to germinate!
    Better luck than lump though.. lump just get down a local nursery & buy some they’ve grown, it ain’t cheating if you at least tried to grow em yourself 1st

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Simpson’s seeds do a book on chillies, growing, varieties, and using. I’ve not read it, but I found their tomato book useful. And they do seeds (durr) – the website is worth a visit.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Bung them in a grow bag in a sheltered (but sunny) spot outside in about 6 weeks and they should be fine.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’ve still got 5 full containers of frozen chillies from last season, went a bit to mental I think.

Chillies will grow as big as their surroundings (except the dwarf/patio varieties) so the bigger the pot generally the bigger the plant but I find it’s best to let them grow into their pot before sizing up. Use NO.4 high nitrogen feed during the green growing phase and an allround feed during the fruiting phase, both at 1/2 recommended dose.

The most important thing is soil mix and watering, chilli plants hate standing in water so it’s best to wait untill they almost wilt before watering. And for a high draining soil mix I use 50% compost, 25% sharp/builders sand and 25% perlite/grit, mix in a few spoons of bonemeal for good measure. The enemy are aphids and those pesky little fungus gnats but bottom watering will help with the latter.

I started late this year but would highly recommend just seeds on ebay, everything bar one seed germinated in five days….

JasonDS
    ngeddie
    Free Member

South facing window and bottom watering, tomato food or chilli focus once a week when in fruit. If you get flowers and no fruit, quite possible if in house you will need to manually cross pollenate, i use a small model style paint brush and once flowers are open just brush them all in center to spead pollen to allow fruiting. Enjoy!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘hey you chilli plant gurus’ is closed to new replies.