Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • hey! what's happened to the search function!
  • grievoustim
    Free Member

don't like it!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

You search for stuff, and it appears…
    What's not to like?

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I can't see how you search a specific forum, eg classifieds.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thomthumb
    Free Member

it broke it broke!!

sc-xc
    thepodge
    Free Member

go to advanced and then stick

/forum/classifieds

at the end of the address bar

vinnyeh

@thepodge – the results, and links returned are still rubbish, the preview in the result is garbage- the links don't take you to the thread, or even the relevant page, and there's no way of ordering by date.

I predict it'll be scrapped in a few days.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I tried that earlier today Podge and it didn't work, as vinnyeh says.

grievoustim
    Free Member

i want the most recent results – the google search tries for most relevant, but I don't think it works in this context

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I predict it'll be scrapped in a few days.

Hopefully, don't know why Tom db thought this was a good idea.

allyharp

One thing I don't like about the search function is how it only takes note of fairly recent posts so it's hard to find anything from anything more than a few months back.

You can of course use google which proves the posts do still exist.

jond
    Free Member

Search by member login seems to be a bit variable – a few times names just haven't been in the pull-down.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

jond, try and use the search function now.

Dickyboy

new google search is rubbish

IanMmmm
    Free Member

It would be much better if you could order the results by date. Other than that, it's OK.

antigee

i could never find anything with the old search so it can't be worse

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Considering Google is ubiquitous it's amazing how few people know how to use it.

If you want to do anything beyond a simple search use the advance search link that means you can search in a date range or in specific forums as the podge said.

If you want the most recent results then when you get your search results back in Google click the plus to see the 'options' then select 'latest'. Simples! 😉

There is another thread that explains why STW have changed the search I suggest you search for it. 😉

I reckon that from now on any repeated posts/questions should be greeted with UTFS like on the LFGSS board. 😈

antigee

I reckon that from now on any repeated posts/questions should be greeted with UTFS like on the LFGSS board.

well thats that sorted then! obviously i don't spend enough time in forum world will google for a translation

goog
    Free Member

search function = shite …. FACT !

I'm glad I'm not a P muppet or I'd be throwing my toys out of the pram about it

vinnyeh

ctznsmith, try using it on the classifieds.
    The results don't point to the posts, or even to the index page that the posts are on.
    The result list doesn't provide a contextual string for the search term, in the way that the old search did.
    The result list is incomplete.
    For the classified forum at least, the option to order by date is not available.

goog
    Free Member

so its shite then ?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

@vinnyeh you're not wrong…odd that.

But if you just put 'FS' or 'WTD' in front of your search term e.g. "FS Chris King headset" and search the entire forum you can get the desired results.

It's not shite, just doesn't spoon feed you.

goog
    Free Member

sorry buts its shite … there was nout wrong with the tother one 🙄

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

But if you just put 'FS' or 'WTD' in front of your search term

You're assuming that everyone does that, or remembers to do that.I'd say you're trying to make the best out of something that doesn't work – it's sh1t and you know it. And, if I have to be a computer geek to make it work, it's double shit with green custard on.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Yes, yes I am…it's either that or whine about it incessantly on the internet. 🙄

poisonspider
    Free Member

Can I add my name to the list of 'new search' haters. It's utter crap. Why dick about with something that was perfectly fine. (Although that wasn't as good as it was way back when you could search by user name).

Stoner
    Free Member

you'd have thunk they might have undertaken a little canvassing before pulling the plug on key bits of the site. Ya know, courtesy and all that.

poisonspider
    Free Member

I tried searching for why they changed the search and all I could find was two mentions of trying to speed things up.

Running faster is great, but rather than finding what I want a little slowly, I can now find f-all really fast!

Dead useful.

Mark

The change is temporary.
    The old search was dragging the server down at the busiest times of the day. We are currently upgrading the servers so that this doesn't happen. Currently we have three servers. they are good but now we are delivering more and more high bandwidth content via our premier system its' starting to load up the servers a bit too heavily. Consequently, where once a search of the forum caused no trouble at all the server loads are high enough now that searches at peak times causes one of them to lock up and no one can access the site. Using google searches means the site will stay up while we migrate over to our new servers over the next few weeks.

The old search will be back once we've made that move.

Oh.. and yes.. everything is indexed just fine. It really is that busy in here 🙂

poisonspider
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘hey! what's happened to the search function!’ is closed to new replies.