Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Helvellyn via Sticks Pass descent – advice
  • Rik
    Free Member

This will be for an evening ride so hopefully quiet.

Just wondering if any locals have continued down Sticks Pass in full onto the footpath that runs to the north of Sheffield Pike – if so whats it like??

This would be an alturnative to the usual rocky switchbacks to finish at the youth hostel.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I rode the path that runs on the north side of Glencoyne towards Aira Force a while ago. Its little more than a sheep-track in places, very narrow. Some bits are very techy and exposed, so I took it easy and walked those. I also managed to get 3 pinch punctures.

I did enjoy it though. Probably easier going than down to Glenridding, and longer in time too.

anc
    Free Member

There’s 2 footpath routes there. both are good i assume your on about the one on the south side of the valley its a more straight down affair on a well defined path but still good. Personally i prefer the path that skirts round the north of glencoyne it has some real tecky singletrack, you keep your height longer and on a clear day the view is pretty special. both very quiet usually.

excitable1
    Free Member

Have you thought about doing the Dolly Waggon instead ? Very techy loads of fun and all BW.

Which way are you going up ? last year I went up via the great Dodds. Makes the route longer but some nice up and downs on the way.

Rik
    Free Member

Yep south side of the valley, the footpath goes through ‘Seldom Seen’ on the map before entering the woods.

Is it better than the normal rocky finish which is 100% ridable. Or will it he boggy with walking with all the rain.

The northern one sounds good too though – do tell more anc…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Geograph is your friend.

North side:

(You can just see the path down the south side here)

South side:

anc
    Free Member

Where the paths spilt below greenside there is obvious zigzag carry for a wee bit. but once passed that its becomes pretty challenging technical rock for a bit as you traverse the crags at the end of the valley on a shoulder the path follows it has some nice drops to your right(close eyes), doable if your committed and pick your route through well. When you start to head east there’s great singletrack which might have the odd boggy section around brown hills this time of year but nothing to worry about. you then drop out down on the lower path which is great, the one which heads to dockray will be wet this time of year.

Rik
    Free Member

Prefer Dollywaggon with a full face and duel plys on

Both North and South Side look like a good alternative to the normal route.

Pieface

I thought we were doing Ullswater singletrack in the evening, and you promised a rock fest on the Switchbacks 🙄

Either way, those paths look far more suitable for my riding than the Stick pass Switchbacks

Rik
    Free Member

All good pie face – just looking at alternatives so we have a choice once we get to the junction point. I saw it one the map and wondered what it was like. Rock fest is fine for me….

Def still ullswater in the evening.

Rik
    Free Member

Those paths do look nice and sinewy on the photos and cOuld make an interesting alternative and long as they don’t get boggy with all the recent rain.

hora
    Free Member

We rode Sticks pass last year and when we reached the open bit we turned ‘right’ and it became a wee bit technical.

Not sure of the terminology but the above looks tame?

Pieface

I prefer the look of the footpaths although as long as we descend Lower Man / Browncove Crags (which we will) I’m happy

hora
    Free Member

Which then leads to

Two more switchbacks then brings you out by the houses, then village.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I rode Sticks Pass on monday morning in the rain. It was ace!

Pieface

I did it last summer on my own and dabbed a couple of times….

Once you know the lay of the land I don’t think its any worse than the hardest bit of Stanage Causeway, it just goes on for quite a bit.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Do you think the path from Aira force you mentioned above would make an okish climb? Looks like a fairly steady gradient, but was wondering if it was a bit of a pedal catcher.

hora
    Free Member

I did it last summer on my own and dabbed a couple of times….

Thats me dabbing there! (orange bike)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Do you think the path from Aira force you mentioned above would make an okish climb

No. The lower section is quite muddy/rooty/steep in places. Would be a grind and a walk.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Thanks.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn via Sticks Pass descent – advice’ is closed to new replies.