Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Helvellyn, Skiddaw & Ullswater East
  • fizzer
    Free Member

I'd had my eye on a biggish Lakes ride for some time so with the trails in dry condition decided to give it a go.

Left Glenridding at 7:15am and rode up under Catstycam to Kepple Cove

Up the zig-zags to see the summit in clag

With cloud at the summit & a fresh breeze I was beginning to feel a little under-dressed – how wrong can you be?

Warmed up when I got going again & soon reached Sticks Pass. The track onto Stybarrow Dodd has been sanitised since I was last here, it used to be a line in the grass

Took a butty stop in the wind shelter on Great Dodd.

I normally ride onto Clough Head & just drop off the east side but with the ground so dry I decided to have a look at the BW directly from the summit to the Old Coach Road. I was not disappointed, 2.5 miles of descent & not a gate in sight

Followed the OCR and Skiddaw loomed into sight on the far side of the Vale of Keswick– gulp

Dropped down through the quarry workings

Must have nicked a side wall. It wouldn’t reseal so had to put a tube in – grrr
    Detoured to Keswick Mountain Bikes for spare tube then headed out along Spooney Green Lane

Then it was a push/carry up the front of Jenkin Hill till the gradient eased & was able to ride again.

Derwent Water below

And so to the summit

I had decided on the way up that I would not be descending the way I had come due to the high level of foot traffic so took the Sale How ridge to Skiddaw House where I pinch flatted near the top. God I hate tubes

Dropped into Threlkeld and retraced my tyre marks back through the quarry & up & over the Coach Road. Tarmac bashing followed to Pooley Bridge where I was going to take the road down to Howtown. As it was a nice day I decided to climb up to the Cockpit to sample the delights of the superb run down to Howtown from there

A short climb led to Martindale Hause

And then Sandwick & the East shore BW

‘Only’ 3.5 miles to go but they are probably the most technical 3.5miles in the entire Lake District. It certainly felt like it after 53 miles of riding! Superb views though

Eventually reached the car in Glenridding very hot very sweaty and with a dusty bike

91km, 3987m ascent in 10.5 hours/ 7:42 in the saddle, about 6litres of water, a nicked side wall, 2 tubes and lots fun

Apologies for the picture content of bike bike & bike but I was on my own and got fed up setting up the tripod.

keavo
    Free Member

epic day out. are the zig zags up kepple cove rideable? i've only ever walked that way and would like to know whether there would be any carrying. i can ride up to hayeswater (mostly push/carry after that) with a few dabs when i've gone round high street.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you're just a big showoff and I don't like you any more 🙁

fizzer
    Free Member

You never liked me Mr Barnes 😀

epic day out. are the zig zags up kepple cove rideable?

in a word no but that doesn't mean pushing all the way up either

snowpaul
    Free Member

thats a big big ride !

nice effort ! I know those trails and a superb effort even on a sofa susser !

paul

rolymo
    Free Member

Ive enjoyed all those routes, but not daft enough to do them in the same day.

I hope your legs are hurting.

Mugboo

Don't take this wrong way but man your fit!

marsdenman
    Free Member

Apologies for the picture content of bike bike & bike but I was on my own and got fed up setting up the tripod.

apologies certainly not required… 😀

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Looks fantastic, good effort!

fizzer
    Free Member

I hope your legs are hurting.

not one bit my friend 🙂

toons
    Free Member

wow, well done you

anc
    Free Member

are the zig zags up kepple cove rideable?

Yep they are if you can climb technical and have the legs done it a couple of times without dabbing. 😀

keavo
    Free Member

thats it then, i'll have to try it now:-)

nodrog2
    Free Member

Bloody hell, that's a big ride, done all the bits myself but not in one go. Top effort. Good pics as well.

Max
    Free Member

Nice one

Favourite line is "As it was a nice day I decided to climb up to the Cockpit". Quite a decision after so much distance already covered!

clareymorris

I'd had my eye on a biggish Lakes ride for some time

I like THAT bit………biggISH?!?!!!!

Wow, Awesome day out.

lowey

Nice one mate. Thats a DOG of a ride.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn, Skiddaw & Ullswater East’ is closed to new replies.