Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Helvellyn Ride (pics)
  • dave1980
    Free Member

had a great day riding (and pushing) up the Dodds and eventually to the summit of Helvellyn, a full day of great riding with mates in amazing surroundings – love it!

unsurprisingly no pics of the descent down keppel cove, but it was brake-smokingly brilliant!

hope you managed to get out on the bike this weekend, or that at least you like the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41939153@N05/sets/72157622609418804/show/

Dave

tomh
    Free Member

Where did you start/finish? How long did it take you? Would love to ride helvellyn soon.

Cheers Tom

dave1980
    Free Member

start/finish at gillside farm campsite in glenridding, road ride towards aira force falls then (to paraphrase whoever it was on here that once posted this route):

Aira force car park and up the road climb via Dockray,onto the Old coach road turning left after the Ford and onto Matterdale common (Boggy but ridable)via Groove beck,Great Dodd,Watsons Dodd,Stybarrow dodd,Sticks pass,Raise,Keppel cove,Lower man, and then the summit,The best decent is via keppel cove and keeping right down the zig zags (Steep, loose marbley gravel)towards Glenridding common and the mental decent (30mph+)through Greenside mine to the village

took us 6 hours with only one puncture and a nice long rest at the summit (and shorter rests at all the other summits!). we were lucky with weather and mechanicals; fitness on the ups could have been better but overall we did a great job!

Cheers,
    Dave

lowey

Was that Today ???

We couldnt see our hands in front of our faces on Snowdon!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Helvellyn vid,but decent via Dollywagon 😉

dave1980
    Free Member

great vid! and no, the ride was yesterday, got out of the tent this morning to low cloud so we were lucky to pick saturday. 😀

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

I was walking up helvellyn on Friday, weather was awesome, as for October it felt like July. (wish I had my bike with me) Cheers for the route Lowey BTW, great walk, did Fairfield Horseshoe the day after in even hotter weather, marvellous. 8) 8)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn Ride (pics)’ is closed to new replies.