Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Help with watching flash vids on android
  • AndyPaice
    Free Member

I recently got an android phone after a few years on iphones. I occasionally get trouble with vimeo, saying I need to install a browser that supports H264 or flash. Now I thought that android supported flash, and I’m not entiresly sure what H264 is?

I have downloaded flash player from android market but it still doesn’t seem to work.

Any ideas/advice?

rugbydick

Try downloading Adobe Air as well.
    Are you using the default browser?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

i’ve got the default browser, dolphin hd and firefox currently installed. doing it on the default browser and dolphin. Not tried firefox yet.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’m getting the same problems on my android (S2 using dolphin HD browser). so can’t help. oh i’ve tried on opera mini too.
    what exactly is adobe air too?

rugbydick

Some Vimeo vids don’t work on mobile. There’s normally a link at the bottom of the page in the middle saying “view desktop site” or something like that.

Can’t be much more help I’m afraid.

clubber
    Free Member

download the Vimeo app.

link to the video you’re trying to watch?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

It’s the two snowboard vids linked on here by RHS#2.

i tried the vimeo app on my iphone. not sure if i just couldn’t work out how to use it or if it was just crap but it wouldn’t let me searh videos, was only able to watch the ‘featured’ videos on the front page. Might give it a try on android and see if it’s any better.

cheers

clubber
    Free Member

it works on dolphin HD if you set the agent to ‘desktop’. that’s actually true of several sites so it’s a useful tip 🙂

(More->settings->dolphin settings)

GrahamS

Some Vimeo vids don’t work on mobile.

Both those RHS vimeo videos play fine on the iPhone so I assume they are mobile-compatible or whatever.

Does it work if they are embedded like this:
    [video]http://vimeo.com/34321078[/video]

AndyPaice
    Free Member

That linked vid just gives a black screen with blue text saying ‘adobe flash player’ as a clickable link. Click the link and it goes to flash player settings

Rich
    Free Member

I get the same on my Desire. Also if I follow the link it says “The video cannot be played on this device.”
    I don’t know how to fix it though!

Cougar

I see your problem. Just been having a play.

Not ideal but I’ve found a workaround. If you download “Vimeo Droid” from the market, clicking the link in the web page (under / next to the video) then gives you an “open with” dialogue, select Vimeo Droid and the video plays.

Not quite sure why it doesn’t work natively; I suspect it’s an issue with Vimeo not identifying the client correctly.

EDIT – seems the video uploaders have to opt in to the ‘mobile’ version of their site. Losers.

GrahamS

seems the video uploaders have to opt in to the ‘mobile’ version of their site. Losers.

That’s dumb. But why does it work on iPhone then (in Safari, both on the Vimeo site and from that embedded vid)?

Rich
    Free Member

Good work Cougar. Vimeo Droid works a treat.

Cougar

why does it work on iPhone then

Because it uses the full site? I honestly have no idea.

It does look as though they’ve expended more effort into making the site iPhone compatible though; there’s an official iPhone app but no official Android one.

Kinda crossmaking; I’m surprised that more people aren’t complaining about it, there’s not a lot of info to be had.

Cougar

Just as a proof of concept; this should work natively.

[video]http://vimeo.com/5370705[/video]

To wit, it’s not an inherent problem with Vimeo / Android / Flash, it’s dependent on the video.

GrahamS

Because it uses the full site?

Nah, I can watch it embedded here. If I follow the link it bumps me to the mobile version at
    http://vimeo.com/m/34321078 – does that link work on ‘droid??

Kinda crossmaking

Agreed. You’d think they’d just serve up an HTML5 version to all mobile devices – maybe it tried and that’s why he gets complaints about missing H264, though why the droid browser would be missing that I have no idea, as Google is a supporter of that standard.

Cougar

does that link work on ‘droid??

No – I already tried various combinations of mobile and full-fat sites.

You’d think they’d just serve up an HTML5 version to all mobile devices

Well, quite.

It doesn’t even seem to be that though, it appears to be more of a “your name’s not down, you’re not coming in” sort of affair. It’s not a technical limitation, it’s a political one. I think.

As for H.264, AFAIK the Android browser supports it out of the box (from, uh, FroYo onwards I think), but even if it needed to hand out to external apps I have a separate player which should support it.

Dogs and cats, living together.

GrahamS

Mental.

I’m surprised there isn’t an army of droid users writing to vimeo support about this.

Maybe vimeo are hoping Google will buy them to sort it out?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Cougar, that video works for me. I’ll try the vimeo droid thing too, see if that works.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve had problems running vimeo too on an Galaxy S, so i do’t bother trying to open them.
    Tried D/L’ing vimeo to no avail, updated flash player too.. all very very dull if you ask me, so don’t bother now and have binned vimeo app.

I can open embeded stuff though, rather odd.

Probably written by an IT gonk in a polyester suit with dandruff on the collar.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Clubber, tried the setting change on dolphin and that worked nicely 🙂

cheers for all the help chaps

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Turns out I can’t watch my own videos from Vimeo. You need a pro account and then you can generate mobile videos.
    Proper crap imo.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Help with watching flash vids on android’ is closed to new replies.