Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help with freewheel/backpedal problem…
  • Daffy

Okay, this is a really peculiar problem I’ve got with one of the bikes.

Firstly it’s not the freehub as I’ve tried this with two different wheels.

It’s on a Ti456, when the rear QR is done-up (Shimano – Not very tight) the cassette/freehub will rotate only with a decent degree of force. With the QR released it’s fine.

It’s a Chris King ISO disk hub (both wheels i tried.)

jonb
    Free Member

I assumer nothing external is rubbing.

Sounds a bit like the tension on the QR is applying too much force to something.

I had an issue with a front cone and cup bearing hub. When the wheel was free it was fine but then when tightened with the qr the wheel was not spinning freely because it was squezzing the bearings.

Look to see if they’re is anything you can slacken off on the hub.

blastit
    Free Member

This happens to me on my hope wheels if I mix up the spacers when I put my hub back together after replacing the bearings.
    Have you taken them apart and missed something??

r6ymy
    Free Member

Is the hub a tight fit between the drop outs?
    Have you checked the disc isn’t binding on the pads/caliper?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Firstly it’s not the freehub as I’ve tried this with two different wheels.

I don’t see how it can be anything other than the freehubs/hubs – are the two you tried the same or similar types?

brant
    Free Member

tried in other frame?

Frankers
    Free Member

CK hubs do freeze up a little in cold weather. Did you try servicing/cleaning them??

the_lecht_rocks

you need to perform a ringdrive service ASAP. a quick clean out and re lube with either ringdrive lube or mobil 1 will resolve, simple as ABC.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks – Member
    you need to perform a ringdrive service ASAP. a quick clean out and re lube with either ringdrive lube or mobil 1 will resolve, simple as ABC.

Why Mobil 1? surely if that works then any other oil would work.

Oh, and I was wondering about the possibility of the disc binding when the QR was done up, as mentioned above, also.

Daffy

Blastit – I’ve service the Pewter Wheelset – not missed anything

R6ymy – Nope, VERY loose. I’ve removed the brake just in case.

Brant – Have used both wheels in the Mojo and they work fine.

Lecht – The Pewter set have been serviced maybe 100 miles ago ysing the tool and ringlube, the pink set is brand spanking new.

andywhit
    Free Member

Daffy – I had the exact same problem with my King rear hub.

Back pedalling gave some resistance so the chain would slap around and when I did the QR up then the cassette was really stiff, was fine with QR undone.

Finally found the problem when I examined the hub closely. The drive side axle end (the pressed on bit with the serrations on) had fractured and parts of the metal had got into the freehub mechanism. When the QR was done up it caused the piece of metal to jam the freehub. It was new axle time and although the hub was > 5 yrs old King warrantied it no probs and sent a new axle out.

Worth checking the drive side of your axle and making sure the same thing hasn’t happened to you ?

andywhit
    Free Member

Bump in case Daffy hadn’t read my previous post.

Daffy

Will do Andy – Thanks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help with freewheel/backpedal problem…’ is closed to new replies.