• This topic has 34 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Help with a route Hebden Bridge area
  • pendlechris
    Free Member

Looking to do a circular route may be part Mary Townley loop in and around Hebden Bridge, I have done most of the Burnley, Widdop, parts and was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good circular route,over Hebden bride, Littlebourgh etc between 15-30 miles long

hora
    Free Member
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hebden > up Peckett Well > Limers Gate > sheep trail > around Warley Moor Res > down the cobbles to Ogden for ice cream > up BW away from Ogden towards Thornton Moor > down and then left along Sowood Lane > back to Warley Moor Res > sheep trail > top end of Luddenden Dean > loop over the tops and down the infamous Peckett Well descent(s) to Hardcastle Craggs then either back to Hebden Bridge along the road or climb away from Hardcastle Craggs all the way to Lower Gorple > up to Egypt > down towards Jack Bridge and either down Jack Bridge (boo) or cheeky stuff (yey!)

hora
    Free Member

Pecket well is nice (take the right fork instead of the left) 😀

TheDoog
    Free Member

down towards Jack Bridge and either down Jack Bridge (boo) or cheeky stuff (yey!)

You can sneak down between some houses near the road junction that goes on to the pack horse, this takes you down the other side of the valley to jack bridge but brings you out in the same place, its a v.nice downhill run, you have to be careful tho cos you go past someones front door at one point.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yep, Slack Tracks. Starts off REALLY fast singletrack through some long grass and then swing a right down Punch The Wall and then either carry on over the road and down the cobbles (past the house) and then left at the bottom along Beech Nuts or you can climb left back up to Heptonstall and then you've got the option of Midgets Pit or Barely Legal.

Or if you want to keep it legit (the top part with the fast singletrack is a BW), you can turn right at the road which drops down to the mill and then you can climb up the other side of the valley and meet the Jack Bridge descent.

TheDoog
    Free Member

I always miss the swing right cos i forget to brake!!! Always!!

hora
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder, any map piccy with a badly drawn line on for us? 🙂

brant
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder, any map piccy with a badly drawn line on for us?

I know members of the Todmorden Gun Club.

hora
    Free Member

You're probably related to them as well 😉

brant
    Free Member

Your probably related to them as well

It's you're not your.

As in "you're a cock".

hora
    Free Member

There. Happy?

brant
    Free Member

There. Happy?

"They're happy".

hora
    Free Member

yes, "they are happy"…but are we?

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

you're never happy

TheDoog
    Free Member

Who named it punch the wall anyway?? Things seem to have more exciting names down Hebden way, down Norland way its just "not that bloody hill again!" and "you know, that track we did last week…." etc etc

oopnorth
    Free Member

Doog…We have some good names for the stuff around Norland, for example Blunkett Street & also Quality woods (Copley woods). Dont ask me why, all named by various members of the Blazing Saddles group. Must be a Hebden thing!!! 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hora – about to go surfing down in Devon for the weekend but might scribble something down for you when I get back.

Doog/oopnorth – Norland/Copley etc is my 'local' and I can't say I've ever heard of any of those names. Got loads of our own though… Wireworks, Donkey Drop, Gollums Pool, The Edge, Terrible Turns, Tourettes etc etc

wors

There is a hill climb near us aptly named "The Bastard"

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I always miss the swing right cos i forget to brake!!! Always!!

Or is it the steep slippery cobbles with the steps at the end? 😉

hora
    Free Member

Ta DBW. Funnily down on the North downs different groups of riders have different (quite good/genius) names for the same parts of trails etc. I think deliverance and yoghurt pots are the exception but then again….

Ben_Haworth

The Doog – I named that one.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Got loads of our own though… Wireworks, Donkey Drop, Gollums Pool, The Edge, Terrible Turns, Tourettes etc etc

I know where the wireworks is/was but would be interested to know which the others are cos i bet i've ridden em a million times

oopnorth
    Free Member

Sounds like there is a few of us in the Norland area, we will all have to meet up sometime for a local blast. Also we have regular wednesday night rides with the Blazing squad, and are quite often in the Norland / Elland area.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Especially "tourettes" what have you named that?? I presume its cos you swear lots on it?

nbt

hora – Member

DaveyBoyWonder, any map piccy with a badly drawn line on for us?

what's the point, it's all cheeky and therefore you'll never ride it, right?

Dave
    Free Member

maybe he just want to report it to the authorities to stop any walkers getting injured?

nbt

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Some of them aren't even footpaths (I don't think) – they go beyond cheeky!

hora
    Free Member

Ah, I see ganging up now is it? Is this what happens on walkers forums when someone says 'hey, nothing wrong with cyclists is there'? 🙄

nbt

no, just pointing out your hypocrisy

Dave
    Free Member

Is this what happens on walkers forums when someone says 'hey, nothing wrong with cyclists is there'?

I doubt they're anymore tolerant of people spouting inanities.

elaineanne
    Free Member

if you can get to sunny Todmorden then get to 'walsden' and go up 'Ramsden wood road' and bear left at some new houses and this takes you up and over the moorland heading towards littleborough (this is part of the mary townley route, and you,ll come out at summit tunnels, bear left uphill agin then following the blue n white signs…then take a sharp right turn down a tricky decent into walsden agin,(main road) then as from there bobs your uncle..you decide…you can cross the road fromwalsden and go up the packhorse trail to the small hamlet of Bottomley and over the walsden moor and head over towards Shepherd Rest pub, then over to Mankinholes…where you can pick up the dusty track over to Callis Bridge and then its on yer own way back to Hebden,…..

brant
    Free Member

go up 'Ramsden wood road' and bear left at some new houses and this takes you up and over the moorland heading towards littleborough (this is part of the mary townley route, and you,ll come out at summit tunnels,

no. quite quite wrong directions to get to summit tunnels there.

that will take you up Long Causeway, which is currently closed for maintenance, having been, destroyed by the mountain lions and large bears that live near there.

if you want to get to summit tunnels etc, then keep on the main road and pootle off towards littleborough a bit more, or even down the canal bank, and before the burger van layby, there's a path up to the right that takes you up to the top. Or you can go up Allescholes hill.

hora
    Free Member

If its a narrow and obvious footpath with blind corners I tend to avoid riding down it. If Im new to the area in a group how am I to know? Plus, Kebab Alley? I havent ridden down that since I found out its a footpath. That would be dangerous.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Help with a route Hebden Bridge area’ is closed to new replies.