Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • help wheel build
  • richsp443
    Free Member

Hi, this is my first wheel build and i'm using stans arch rims, hope pro2 hubs and dt super comp spokes. As far as i can find/work out i need front left 260 front right 261.8 rear left 261.2 rear right 260.4 my question is can i order the spokes in just 261? as i can get a good deal on a full box. they would all be within 1 mm
    thanks all
    Rich

carlosg
    Free Member

I've built wheels using 262mm all round depite differing flange sizes(hope xc/bulb) a 1mm difference will be fine!

foxyrider
    Free Member

You have got 2mm each wway really – TBH I just built a wheel with some odds and sods ranging from 3mm over and 1mm under and its built into a great wheel – just a few nipples have about 0.5 mm of spoke poking out 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Just make sure you don't have half the threads showing – this would be a weak point as it could strip the nipple threads very easily.

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 what Shubb said

ratadog

Wheelpro spoke calculator aims to give longest ideal length IIRC ( don't know about DT Swiss or the others) so in an ideal world this looks like 3 lots of 260 and one of 261. However, calculator usually looks to get end 1mm from end of nipple so I agree that all are within 1mm of 261 and you should be fine. Even if you cut a few new threads in the nipples this is apparently OK. Check the dish regularly and correct towards it as you go if possible.

When I bought approx 1mm under what I calculated for reasons of spoke availability and then unfortunately discovered that I had probably measured the rim 1mm or so under as well and finished up with some thread showing all round, I switched to 14mm nipples instead of 12mm to get my extra 1mm back, at which point the build went together fine, so there are ways around the problem if you were to finish up with threads showing and were concerned.

richsp443
    Free Member

thanks for the info, i'll get them ordered

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘help wheel build’ is closed to new replies.