Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help! Unable to send e mail on i phone.
  • sparkerfix

Could do with a little help in setting up outgoing e mail on i phone. I cant send over 3g for example (ok on my own wire less network). The service provider is virgin,mobile provider vodafone. My e mail account is set for IMAP and pop disabled in virgin g mail account settings. Outgoing mail servre is set as smtp.virgin.net server port 456. Tried it with or without SSL. Also tried mail.virgin.net. Can recieve ok but no send. I am now stumped, wondered if the STW collective could help. Cheers

spacemonkey

SOunds like config issue with outgoing mail server. Have you set it up according to Virgin's recommendation? Does anything need to be enabled from within Virgin account?

If no joy here, then post on the iPhone UK forum or the main Apple one.

sparkerfix

As far as i know,yes set up as virgin recommends. Been thorugh settings times incase i had a , instead of a . for example. Anyway will try on i phone forums. Thanks

mossimus
    Free Member

Should you not be using the vodafone smtp server?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

It may be a lot more simple than this, forgive me, as I don't understand any of the above, but I use virigin media for my broadband. Virgin will only let you send out going mail when connected to their internet connection. Any mail I write on my iphone or laptop will sit in the outbox all day, until I connect at home, or to my mam or brothers virigin account, then it will send.
    It's supposedly something to do with stopping their servers being used for spam.

Hope this helps

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Pete_R wrote:

Hi Pimpernel,

Authentication for SMTP Access for Virgin Media email addresses is via IP as well as username and password. Unfortunately you will not be able to access SMTP from a connection other than your Virgin connection.

Er, that's not actually true

Since the migration to the Google Mail service you can access Virgin's SMTP servers from abroad – except for smtp.ntlworld.com. However this will be enabled later this year I believe

For @virgin.net, @blueyonder.co.uk and @virginmedia.com addresses it should work exactly the same as it does home – providing the network you are connecting through doesn't block SMTP access to the Virgin servers
    I work for Virgin – but all opinions posted here are my own

Taken from this thread

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Sending-amp-recieving-email-while-overseas/m-p/116517

I'm on an @ntlworld.com address.

Rubber_Buccaneer

If you want to send email over your mobile network, home wifi and hotspots you need a SMTP server that requires log in details for outgoing mail. Virgin may offer this, I don't know. Search or ask Virgin.

One solution may be to get a new email account such as gmail (not hotmail, I don't think MS and Apple get on very well)

EDIT Looks like Paulosoxo has done the work for you.

sparkerfix

I did manage to crack it once on the wife's i phone and i'm using same settings but it just won't send. It's got to be IMAP it won't even recieve on i phone if POP

Rubber_Buccaneer

I agree you want IMAP, much better than POP if using multiple devices etc but AFAIK IMAP and POP refer to your incoming mail server.

Your problem is with the outgoing SMTP server and you are far from alone. If you are both on Vodaphone check your wife's outgoing (SMTP) server settings. Which SMTP server is she using?

Cougar

Should you not be using the vodafone smtp server?

This. As a rule of thumb, irrespective of who you use for email, inbound email (eg, POP3) should use your mail host's server, and outbound (SMTP) should be your service provider. So, eg, using Virgin email on a Voda connection, POP3 server will be Virgin and SMTP will be Voda.

As an anti-spam measure, a lot of companies now require you to authenticate on sending and / or use a secure connection. There should be a support page on Voda's site detailing the settings you need.

Rubber_Buccaneer

You are right Cougar, the trouble starts when you want to use wifi at home or a hotspot and your service provider is no longer Vodafone but your ISP or the hotspot service provider. Authenticated SMTP should be the solution but Virgin may not offer that service or his settings may be wrong.

Rubber_Buccaneer

and if it helps the vodafone smtp server is send.vodafone.net

No authentication required so long as you are sending over the mobile network. It will not work once connected over wifi though.

sparkerfix

Bingo!! Cracked it. Outgoing mail server mail.virgin.net, ssl and a different port number to standard. Thanks for the tips guys!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Are you holding it correctly?
    😉

Cougar

That's what she said, etc etc

retro83
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help! Unable to send e mail on i phone.’ is closed to new replies.