Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help required re. PILON – a quick question.
  • tyger
    Free Member

Hi there, does anyone know if Pay In Leu Of Notice is tax free or is it taxable?

Many thanks as always

crispybacon
    Free Member

Taxable 🙁

tyger
    Free Member

Can anyone send me a link stating so officially?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

to the best of my knowledge, payment in lieu of notice is non-taxable when agreed as part of a compromise agreement. But only because it hasn’t been challenged through the courts as yet.

due to their being any number or specifics contractual terms etc in the agreement for payment in lieu of notice, it is impossible to give a clear answer.

Fletch
    Free Member

Pay in lieu of notice is a contractual payment in relation to your employment and is therefore taxable.

F

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Check here

Is your notice pay taxable?

If you work your notice, you will be taxed at the usual rate on the money you earn in your notice period.

If your employer offers you a payment instead of you working your notice this is called ‘PILON’ or ‘payment in lieu of notice’. PILON is only taxable if your employment contract says it is, or it is normal practice in your workplace. Otherwise, it is not taxable.

If the PILON, together with redundancy and other compensation, adds up to more than £30,000, anything over the £30,000 is taxable at the usual rate.

Fletch
    Free Member

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/senew/SE12976.htm

Where an employee receives a ‘contractual’ payment in lieu of notice (‘PILON’), it is chargeable under Section 19 ICTA 1988 as an emolument from the employment.

F

tyger
    Free Member

I’m being offered a compensation contract and being told that my PILON won’t be taxed.
    I just want reassurance.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

so if there’s no mention of PILON in the contract, payment is tax free.

tyger
    Free Member

I think it only refers to my Contract of Employment “PILON is only taxable if your employment contract says it is”

Not the Compensation Contract…?

Fletch
    Free Member

PILON itself doesn’t need to be mentioned in your contract. If you have a contractual notice period eg 4 weeks then if they give you notice today you have a right to be paid under that contract for another 4 weeks. If rather than you working it you get paid for it then it is taxable as it relates to your contractual rights.

If your contractual notice is 4 weeks but because they are giving you no notice they offer you say 12 weeks pay then 4 weeks is contractual and 8 weeks is ex gratia and not taxable. The additional 8 weeks is not strictly PILON as the two periods are not the same and it doesn’t relate to your notice period.

Its difficult without knowing exactly what you are being paid and what for.

F

tyger
    Free Member

My Notice period is 3 months. The company are offering me a package (compensation contract) which includes my 3 months Notice.
    It’ll make a big difference as to whether I accept this package if I’m to be taxed for my Notice period. The company want me to leave straight away and not work my Notice.
    They have also said that it will not be taxed – however, the person offering this is actually Dutch and not that well up on UK employment law.
    Hence my original question.
    Can you confirm?

tyger
    Free Member

Sorted – thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help required re. PILON – a quick question.’ is closed to new replies.