Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help Please – keep pulling the valve out of the tube
  • Daniel
    Free Member

The valve keeps pulling out of the tube on my front wheel after about half an hour of riding every time I go out. I've tried various makes of tubes and recently replaced the rim tape after I noticed the original fabric tape had shrunk and was partly obscuring the hole where the valve goes through, which made no difference. There's no damage to the rim

The rim is a Mavic XC717 and has the little plastic insert still in place and the tyre is a Bonty ACX. The back wheel is the same set-up, and is fine.

Help, its driving me crazy and costing a fortune!

Onzadog
    Free Member

How old is the tyre? Sounds very much like the bead has stretched.

By the way, who built your wheels? The two spokes that are visible look like they're running a good few mm difference between them. Not that it's relevant to your original question.

FOSHOYAHO
    Free Member

had a similar issue a while back. my tyre was slippin on rim. if it's not an old tyre as ^ then take it off and clean the rim and tyre and it should be sweet

Daniel
    Free Member

I have to admit I can get the tyre on and off without levers.

The wheels were built by Dave Hinde – I know! I know!

What would the bead stretching do?

deserter
    Free Member

I had this on the downhill bike when breaking really hard on tatmac at the end of the run,upped the pressure a bit and no probs since,was suggested using the other type of valves would help also

Onzadog
    Free Member

stretching/worn. Just above the bead there are usually little "bars" that grip the rim when pressurised by the tube. Withiout these, the tyre can spin on the rim. To be honest, I've normally only seen it on the rear wheel.

scaredypants

bead stretches, tyre doesn't grip rim so well & slips round, taking the tube with it if they're sticking together

stuff a load of talc inside the tyre or (better) get a new tyre

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I used to get this on the rear wheel with an ancient Panaracer Smoke – it too was a floppy fit and I was running it pretty low pressure. Seemed to stop when I upped the pressure and I've never had the problem on newer tyres.

allthepies
    Free Member

apply some talc to the tube, stops it rotating with the tyre.

spooky_b329

My Jones ACX is really tight to get on and off, its a 2.1. My mate has the 2.3's and they literally fall off his rims so I'm guessing you have the 2.3's?

Daniel
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I was thinking of replacing the Bonty's so this has made my mind up!

Spooky – they are 2.2's

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help Please – keep pulling the valve out of the tube’ is closed to new replies.