Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help! Off the bike for three months – need fitness advice please
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

In a couple of weeks time I’m due to have an operation to repair some crash damage to my shoulder ligaments. On doctor’s orders I’m not allowed to cycle for at least three months, plus I’m going to be wearing a surgical sling for the first month.

I’m keen to avoid ending up a bat fastard, but I need some ideas for alternative exercise I can do while I’m recovering. Spinning classes are obvious, but my local gym’s classes are only accessible twice a week. I live out in the sticks, so road running may be problematic too.

Any ideas?

Edric64
    Free Member

Could you get a turbo trainer ?

iDave
    Free Member

walk, step-ups, body-weight squats, turbo trainer – numerous options

and eat well

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

swiming – use a float and leg kicks only

iDave
    Free Member

deep water running in the pool would be better, with floats.

wwaswas

Walking.

Go for a two hour walk at a decent pace and you’ll be burning some calories.

once you’re out of the sling walk off road and find lots of new bit sto ride when you can go back on the bike 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

A turbo trainer looks like a brilliant idea, but if I fall off thing then there’s a chance I could rip out all the screws and whatnot holding my bionic shoulder together! I don’t have the balance for it.

I like the idea of deep water running…I hadn’t thought of that. Then there’s absolutely LOADS of offroad footpaths my way so I might invest in a good pair of walking boots.

iDave – I’ve been looking at the diet thread of yours too. You may well have the key to me remaining in my 34″ waist jeans.

jimw
    Free Member

As wwaswas said. I have had exactly the same scenario after surgery on the supraspinatus tendon a few years ago. I did a lot of walking (from 3 to 10 miles a day) on the local hills and got to know the area well. Also used a turbo trainer after 4 weeks for 30mins – 1hr every other day, soooo boring but when I got back on the bike after 10 weeks I found I had actually improved my stamina and general fitness compared to before the OP

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A turbo trainer looks like a brilliant idea, but if I fall off thing then there’s a chance I could rip out all the screws and whatnot holding my bionic shoulder together! I don’t have the balance for it.

turbo, not rollers, you can’t (unless you’re really unstable) fall off a turbo, but falling off an armchair would be easier.

iDave – I’ve been looking at the diet thread of yours too. You may well have the key to me remaining in my 34″ waist jeans.

I think of my 34’s as my fat jeans, and I’m not slim!

I’m just coming upto 2 months off excercise with a broken arm (wont actualy be able to ride a bike for another 4 weeks and already been off for 6). At times it drags, but in some ways its been quite nice to be in Febuary and the grounds under 2ft of mud, thinking I’d like to ride, rather than most years struggling for motivation to get out and destroy more chains, pads, cassettes, etc. And I’ve actualy lost weight eating takeaways, ready meals etc, and just eating normaly (i.e. not idave as I couldnt be bothered to cook with 1 arm), OK some/most of it is probably muscle, but seeing as I stuggle to lose any weight while excercising at least when I start up again I’ll be converting fat to muscle and not put the weight back on.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I think of my 34’s as my fat jeans, and I’m not slim!

‘zactly! I don’t want to outgrow my fat jeans 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Just eat right and you should stay the weight you currently are.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help! Off the bike for three months – need fitness advice please’ is closed to new replies.