Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Help. Not as described purchase. What would you do??
  • finners

A little over 7 weeks ago i purchased a set of Juicy ultimates off the classifieds. They were described as in VGC. They arrived, eventually, i checked the contents and they seemed fine. Now, 4-5 weeks ago i got round to fitting the brakes on the slowly progressing build (it took this long as i was in hospital for some fairly major operation on my leg and then a badly timed house move). Upon fitting i found out both pads needed replacing, clamp and bodies were scuffed/ chipped more than first inspection. This i could deal with, but the worst part is the one of the clamp bolt holes is bored(?) and wont bite. The same clamp, other thread, is also corroded. I have had them inspected by a local avid dealer and an engineering company just to confirm this.
    Now, i contacted the seller 4 weeks ago, no reply. I have tried to contact in the last couple weeks via email and posting on the sellers threads. Still no reply.
    I will state these brakes have not been used or indeed fitted.
    Is it fair to ask for a refund?, hell even if its 80%-90% of a refund. I cant afford another set!!!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I have an XTR caliper with one of the threads gone from readjusting sticking caliper. I wouldn't think of selling it.
    If the seller knew this then they just ripped you off. They could have gone when the seller unscrewed them and hence -you only know when retightening and if the seller thought they were ok they could say you did it.

The only thing you can do is contact the seller and ask them but if they knew they will just blame you.

Never buy 2nd items like brakes?

sc-xc

Mmmmmm. It seems like another bustafjones special 🙁

Good luck with it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    loddrik
    Free Member

I'd say that it is something you should have raised within a week of receiving them. Seven weeks is a little long and you should probably have tested them right away, regardless of circumstances.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not ideal, but you could get the threads helicoiled for not much money rather than trying to chase down an elusive seller.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fwiw too long between recieving and using ….irrespective of excuses for it.

Stormwind
    Free Member

I think you should always check anything you buy ASAP. That said I leave stuff for ages all the time before checking. A lot of used MTB parts are useless it's why people sell them.

I wouldn't use the classified adds, buy from ebay then you have 45 days to check the item and make sure it works.

That said simply repair the brakes and make sure you put procedures into place that you learn from the experience and stick to them for any future buys.

Hope your feeling better after you hospital stay.

highclimber
    Free Member

name and shame.

finners

I understand 7 weeks is a long time. But the seller was contacted after about 4 weeks, only really 28 days, which isnt that long.
    Loddrik, i see you point but they were bought as being in "VGC". They seemed fine when i looked them over, except as i said for some scuffs and worn pads. I didnt have the parts for the rest of the build as it wasnt going to be many weeks until i could walk properly, let alone build a bike. I didnt expect to have to check all the bolts etc considering the apparent vgc.
    Trail_rat it has been sometime since buying, but not since first attempt to contact seller. Plus they have not been used. Not excuses, fact.
    Stormwind, i see your point for ebay, but ive used stw classifieds for years and never had a bother. I not one for complaining,but i dont feel this is right.
    Im not going to name and shame as i dont feel it is necessary at this time, im waiting for a reply….

uplink
    Free Member

Is it this one?
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-juicy-ultimate-carbons

if so, you wouldn't be the first one to complain about him – try a search

wwaswas

uplink freeform5spots ad is for Elixirs – the OP's complaining about Juicys?

[Edit] Never disagree with anyone prior to first espresso of the day. 😳

coatesy
    Free Member

Wwaswas, read the ad again, you've still got time to edit:)

sc-xc

wwaswas – the ad is for Juicys, FF5spot had just got some elixirs for himself.

As above, search on bustafajones…loads of history. I wouldn't buy from him.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry. OP its your 'word'. Someone selling to a mate then yes you could reproach a friend as he could trust what your saying is true.

From someone on the internet how the hell does the seller know you haven't botched the brakes up etc etc yourself and looking for some damage-limitation?

As for cosmetics- you could see these when you opened the package. You would have checked them right when you received? If you didn't thats tough.

On the pads- unless the seller described the pads 'as new' then theres no comeback. Hes describing the brakes as VGC not 'pads as new'?

Maybe they were washed before packing and due to lack of use the corrosion has occured?

Sorry when you buy something used you really do have to check it out properly.

Imagine you bought a quilt cover and didn't opened it 40days later to discover a tear in the fabric. Do you think the shop would be reasonable in refusing your refund request?

MS
    Free Member

Agree with general opinion. After 4 weeks most sellers will have spent the money, I know I would have.

Only problem I ever had was with a set of olf forks I sold, the guy that bought them was giving them a service and said they were mashed inside. Took his word for it and refunded him. But that was within a week of me posting them.

Basically I would say you need to check the item properly when you get them. Not starting an arguement but would you expect the seller to keep the cash lying around for 4 weeks? I certainly wouldn't!

STW classifieds are good for getting good used parts and if most folk are decent they wiill tell you if there is a problem with the part. But in essence its still a gamble as you have no binding contract with the seller, just a general hope that the seller is a "decent person".

hora
    Free Member

OP- I've had issues with three items bought on STW. On all three occasions as soon as I've received the items I've contacted the sellers ASAP.

I wouldn't wait going on two months then start a thread about how I could create sly awareness to the seller in the hope he'd feel suitably subtly threatened into giving in.

Sorry. This (to me) is how this thread reads.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

On all three occasions as soon as I've received the items I've contacted the sellers ASAP.

The OP did too. As soon as he found the stripped thread! (Which you wouldn't see until you tried to fit the brakes)

Just a thought, but Juicy Ultimates, are they not postmount? So all you'd need would be a new adaptor, NOT a whole new caliper?

hora
    Free Member

I know but it goes back to my early comment- you need to check a secondhand item as soon as you receive it. Theres only limited comeback/goodwill as it is with a private sale.

If a seller sends something that they believe to be in working condition then receive an email 4 weeks later I'd be inclined to reply 'oh let me just pass you to my customer services dept…..'

mattsccm
    Free Member

Too long to wait. Check stuff the day it lands. Can't do that, sorry but thats hard luck. maybe less than perfect but you could have been reasonable about it. I doubt I would take them back now, where as within a few days I might well have.

neninja
    Free Member

uplink's link is spot on, the ads for Ultimate carbons because the seller had bought some elixirs

7 weeks is a bit of a long time to leave it. Not as bad as someone I had who left it over a year to get in touch!!! He had the parts sitting in his garage for a year before he got round to using them and found he'd bought the wrong ones.

hora
    Free Member

Right, time for a bacon butty me thinks.

Drac

7 weeks ago he bought them, they arrived some time after that and 4 weeks ago he got in touch. He hasn't waited 7 weeks at all probably just over a week. The seller hasn't answered him just ignored him which no good.

hora
    Free Member

Drac then it doesnt make sense:

-A little over 7 weeks ago.
    -They arrived
    -(eventually i checked the contents and they seemed fine)
    -Now, 4-5 weeks ago

So using that it says he checked them within a week of buying them?!! Even using the word 'eventually'.

sc-xc

Drac has it. Hora, read the post again.

-Ordered 7 weeks ago
    -They arrived, eventually
    -Gave them the once over when they came, seemed fine
    -4-5 weeks ago (so possibly a few days after they came) went to fit them, found they were shagged. Contacted bustafajones/freeform5spot
    -Seller doesn't respond, but continues to trade

That's how I read it.

HTTP404
    Free Member

one of the clamp bolt holes is bored

Problems like this only become apparent when fitting to the bike. When I buy parts of STW they often go unfitted for weeks and I would have thought it completely reasonable to contact the seller regarding this problem. And completely unreasonable for the seller to offer no explanation.

tails
    Free Member

From a sellers point of view I'd tell you to do one. 7 weeks you could have been doing anything with them. Best of luck but I can't see you getting refund.

woffle
    Free Member

Problems like this only become apparent when fitting to the bike. When I buy parts of STW they often go unfitted for weeks and I would have thought it completely reasonable to contact the seller regarding this problem. And completely unreasonable for the seller to offer no explanation.

+1

sc-xc

From a sellers point of view I'd tell you to do one. 7 weeks you could have been doing anything with them. Best of luck but I can't see you getting refund.

but it wasn't 7 weeks was it? It was probably around a week.

shortcut

I think PP has a point!

Post mount – just get a new adapter! If not helicoil.

Lesson learned!

sv

Honest sellers should be able to stand over their goods regardless. Even 4-5 weeks isnt unreasonable if the parts havent been fitted.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Most people on here are familiar with Bustafajones/freefrom5spot. Myself and a friend have bought off him in the knowledge that he 'trades'. Both items were fine. If you look at sellers posting history you usually get a good idea or wether they are shifting their old gear or wether they are trading.

I think that due to the elapsed time it is just a lesson learnt. I can think of 2 others that frequent the classifieds that 'trade' and are tolerated too.

tron
    Free Member

I examine stuff as soon as I get it. That way, if it's not right, you can start a paypal dispute whilst there's still come hope of the money still being in the seller's account.

I'd photograph the problem areas and see if the seller will provide a refund, or a partial refund to fund a repair. I've been done once on classifieds, and it's the only way to go, unless you live nearby. If you don't want to fix it, flog it on ebay and view it as a lesson learned.

When I come to sell stuff, I always clean it up, give it a look over and make sure it's functional. That way I know what I've sold is sound, and where I stand if the buyer comes back to me, so the timeframe wouldn't really matter. On the other hand, if the seller took the brakes off and chucked them straight in the post, then he might have no idea of the faults.

Drac

I also check it straight away but don't always fit them for awhile as can be for future projects.

So freeform is bustafa ok. Mind I bought a frame from Bustfa way back and it was in excellent condition but he was very very slow in sending it out. He's definitely trade though.

HTTP404
    Free Member

you can start a paypal dispute

If the money was a personal payment – that is unlikely.

7 weeks you could have been doing anything with them

Damage could be done within minutes of receipt too.

but it wasn't 7 weeks was it? It was probably around a week

+1

norcosix
    Free Member

Start a post on stw where everyone can name and shame ! Doesn't matter how long it takes to discover the item is damaged he still sold u a useless item. Take the issue up with paypal against the seller. I think you can still do this as you can on eBay.

Good luck at getting the issue resolved

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Isn't the problem with someone like bustafajones that they're just breaking bikes so may not have known there was a problem. This means he is taking a risk that there is a problem and the buyer wants a refund but if it doesn't stop him trading he won't want to give it as he'll be making a loss as bought the item to sell.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

tiger_roach. I think that you've hit the nail on the head right there. As he hasn't used a lot of the kit he sells (or if he has used it, certainly not for long) he can't actually vouch for the operating condition.

finners

Cheers for all points gents, and indeed any ladies. I can see both sides of the arguement. However it hasnt been 7 weeks since i have tried to doing anything about it.I have tried for the passed few weeks, with no success. Even before he went off on holiday. Thats why i have sought advice so-to-speak from the stw'rs.
    They were definitely not in "VGC" as described, werent clean, and had certainly been used. The asthetics i can deal with if i could actually use them. Hora, you arguement as to my word against his is a fair point. Thats unfortunately what it boils down to. However if i was to post pics of the rest of the brakes "problem" it would show that they are certainly not in "VGC". Iregardless of the thread problem. Which incidently is on the lever body part of the clamp….
    I do check over the items i purchase off here. They seemed fine until i fitted them. the clamps came bolted on and there was enough thread to hold them in place, but when you fit them to the bars theres a gap between the body and the clamp. Its here there is no thread. This is why it wasnt noticed when they first arrived.
    People say i shouldve checked them throroughly. Its easy to say that from their point now and hindsight is a wonderful thing….
    Its not fair to name and shame as it could be retified if the seller was indeed to reply to my emails / thread post.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

What I would do is start a thread on a forum, secure in the knowledge that others would work out who the perp was and name and shame them for me… 😉

Poor communication is a pain. Possibly just keep posting in any threads he starts selling anything else until he answers you?

In general as a newb around here I have found the classifieds way better and more honest than ebay. Fingers crossed.

backhander
    Free Member

Hmmm, 4 weeks even is a long time. I'm not sure how I'd feel if it was me who sold them TBH but at the very least I'd reply to mails.
    We all know bustafajones/freeform5spots history, he's clearly a dealer.
    If no one buys from him on here, he'll soon stop bothering.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Help. Not as described purchase. What would you do??’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts