Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • * Help * needed re fitting discs to my sons hotrock . . . ?
  • moniex
    Free Member

Both my boys have a specialized hotrock 24" mtb. All new last year and the A1 FS and A1 FSR version. Both frames and forks have disc mounts, but the hubs don't. Should I change the hubs and have the wheels rebuilt (can't do this myself), or get some extra 24" wheels? Most wheels in this size are pretty hefty though and my sons are little 4st boys age 7 and 9. any other suggestions?

Cheers, Simone

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=47709&eid=4360&menuItemId=9270

druidh
    Free Member

Why bother fitting disks?

grievoustim
    Free Member

do they honestly "need" discs – does anyone need discs at 4st?

tron
    Free Member

By the time you've bought disk hubs and paid the labour (and probably for new spokes) then you'll almost have spent as much as a whole set of new wheels. I'd get new disc 24" wheels (cheap ones off ebay) and flog the old ones.

foxyrider
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd say it would be easier to get whole new wheels, BUT maybe not cheaper.
    Do you have a mate that can build wheels? You could find some used hubs and they should be able to reuse the spokes with a bit of luck 🙂 A bike shop might not be bothered to reuse the spokes and than it probably will be as expensive as buying new wheels….

njee20
    Free Member

Agree that the added weight of the discs will be more of a hindrance than the extra stopping power.

z1ppy

druidh – Member

Great bit of advise… save the cash, to put towards the next bike?
    (the elder must be due a growth spurt?)

GW
    Free Member

druidh – Member

applies to most adult bikes too to be fair!

moniex
    Free Member

Cheers for the help so far. We are taking our boys to the alps this summer, but you are right they don't really 'need' disks. There is plenty of stuff on my bike I don't really 'need' (I am sure we can all relate to that). They just 'want' some for their bithday and their dad is c**p at adjusting v-brakes (and so am I). The v-brakes on the bikes are not that good, so we could also just upgrade those for ones that don't need adjusting as often. . . . but that is not really what my boys are after.

br
    Free Member

My son is older (11), but I bought a pair of 24" disc hub wheels from CRC last year for his Dr Jekyll. Just over £100.

Only issue is that most 24" rims are wide and aimed at jumping etc, so quite difficult to ensure they are narrow/light enough.

And yes while kids are light and probably don't need discs to stop well – discs are good for kids as even the cheapest levers can be set close for small hands, and they don't need much pressure at all to work well – helping with fatigue/cramps.

And in the Alps they'll need the best/easiest brakes.

moniex
    Free Member

"Great bit of advise… save the cash, to put towards the next bike?
    (the elder must be due a growth spurt?)"

My 9 year old is small and will prob be on this bike for at least another 2 to 3 years, the younger one maybe even longer, so we are looking for something longer term. . .

Tracey

We did Abigales when she was 6 for her 1st trip to Verbier in 2004, Specialized wouldnt import the FSR so we got one from France

Deore hubs laced to existing rims, also the existing cassette wouldnt fit the new rear hub

Used Magura Julies for the little fingers

She has grown a bit since then

Tracey

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘* Help * needed re fitting discs to my sons hotrock . . . ?’ is closed to new replies.